Replace Flint with?

What's Hot
Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
If one was hypothetically considering replacing a Strymon Flint, either with another multi-function pedal, or a couple of single pedals, what'd be the preferred options? There's nothing _wrong_ with the Flint, it sounds good. But am considering whether a dedicated tremolo pedal and reverb might suit me more (that's what I had before).

So, what's good in Boss/MXR sized reverbs? I have Neunaber stuff (and like it a lot, but don't need another). So maybe looking at other brands.

The main requirement is that it can do a nice plate or hall sound, something that can function as an always on reverb. Spring is also fine, but I am not a fan of obtrusive drip.

I don't mind if there's not a huge amount of customisation, but the ability to adjust pre-delay and tone is a nice to have. Also, the ability to go from quite subtle reverb to something a bit bigger and more ambient is also nice. I don't need a gazillion presets, or midi-control, or expression pedal input.

With trem, I am fairly clear on my options, but if anyone has anything going, I'd be interested. I'm also Chase Bliss curious, but not sure if the Gravitas is just total overkill.

I'm looking to improve on the Flint, not just replace for the sake of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    I have the Gravitas and the Blue Sky on the same board.
    If you just want a basic trem then the Grav definitely does it, but a whole lot more too.
    You can ignore the advanced features if you like and just set up a couple of presets.
    Expensive though.

The BS and Grav do quite a bit more than the Flint, but if you need regular reverb and trem functionality then the Flint is hard to beat.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    edited December 2018
    The plate reverb on the Catalinbread Talisman is to die for, but the pedal itself I felt robbed a lot of tone from my amp. I didn't like the volume control on it. 

Much prefer the tone of my amp with a Flint in front of it, even if the reverb isn't quite as good. 

The best sounding tremolo I've heard is the Stone Deaf Tremotron, but it is more than I'd pay for a tremolo only pedal. 

Suhr Jackrabbit is a nice tremolo. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5173
    I’ve replaced my Flint quite a few times( I’m on Number 4 I think) I don’t think you can beat it a Unit for Trem/verb but when I get an Amp with Reverb I usually move it on... The only thing I’ve tried that I liked more was the Benado multi unit, but that was a lot bigger....  :)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1382
    None of the Flint reverb demos sound as nice to me as the boss FRV1 but the flint has really nice tremolos, probably nicer than anything else other than real bias-vary amp tremolo.

• From what I’ve read on forums people tend to replace Flint’s with other Flint’s when they re buy them....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been looking at just this this weekend. I’m putting a little mini board together and wanted a trem and reverb in one pedal. Other options I have been looking at is the Mr Black Deluxe Pedal and the Keeley one, name escapes me but that is also worth looking at. 

Having looked at other options I’m convinced that I’m just going to get another Flint. It’s spendy but I don’t think anything comes close, especially once you factor in the harmonic trem. 
    How very rock and roll
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    The new small Keeley verb-o-trem does the same things, but, only has a single footswitch, so you need dial down the depth to have just reverb, or dial down the reverb to have just trem.

It does sound quite nice, though.
  • Matt_McG said:
    The new small Keeley verb-o-trem does the same things, but, only has a single footswitch, so you need dial down the depth to have just reverb, or dial down the reverb to have just trem.

It does sound quite nice, though.
    I had the Caverns V2, which was partly replaced with the Flint.  The Caverns was nice enough but I prefer the verb on the Flint, sounds smoother with more depth.  Not sure of that is comparable to the verb-o-trem though.
    I think the thing that always makes me think about replacing it, is that I find the Flint reverb a bit 'meh' -- it's very good, but not very inspiring -- and the 'feel' (mystic woooh) of the pedal isn't as nice as some stand alone pedals I've tried.

But, whenever I listen back to recordings I've made with it, it sounds excellent. 
  • The plate setting on the MXR reverb is superb. All modes on it, in fact, are very strong, great value for money. Pair this with the Source Audi Vertigo trem, maybe, or SA do the new True Spring with great spring reverb and a couple of great trem modes, inc. harmonic: of you still need a plate(-like) reverb, then the Catalinbread Talisman or a Neunaber Mono Wet would be great choices.
    I have a Neunaber Expanse pedal, so can do the Wet sound. I like it (although not quite as much as I liked the Wet algorithm on the Inspire). I like using the Expanse as more of a middle of the chain modulation and delay pedal, though.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    The plate setting on the MXR reverb is superb. All modes on it, in fact, are very strong, great value for money. Pair this with the Source Audi Vertigo trem, maybe, or SA do the new True Spring with great spring reverb and a couple of great trem modes, inc. harmonic: of you still need a plate(-like) reverb, then the Catalinbread Talisman or a Neunaber Mono Wet would be great choices.

I second that re the Vertigo. Equals and then beats the Flint trem, especially for a harmonic trem sound. I have mine on a brownface trem setting and it's lovely. Plenty of smallish reverbs around. The Wet is still very near the top of the heap for plate/Hall IMHO 

• I replaced a Flint with a couple of different reverbs a few years ago and have since replaced them with another Flint. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flint is god