Pedal for GBHRD Drive Channel

BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
edited December 2018 in FX
I know it’s an old question for standard HRDs, but not sure if the same advice applies to the George Benson version. Is there a tone-shaper like a clean boost, EQ, compressor or other pedal that make the drive/more drive channels on a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe sound better? Or are my best options to either rely on pedals into the clean channel for more gain, or (which I’d rather not do) modify the amp.

Any advice much appreciated. I’m sure @ICBM is well-versed on this issue. I’m playing a Squier Korean Tele upgraded with Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups.

Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Where are you trying to get to?  I don’t use the dirty channels on the hrdlx. I’ve had a low gain tune up front before. Currently back to stock with the following pedals. 
    Greer Light speed, gentle overdrive with a hint of drive. Love it. Like the hrdlx but with a bit more oomph.
    Tubescreamer, this with a hall of fame reverb gives a good early John squire tone. 
    Then when I need classic rock I use a zvex box of rock. Much more bass and punch than the drive channels. 
    It takes pedals well. Enjoy! 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6730
    If it's any use I am currently selling a Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin pedal which I think is very nice going into a driven amp channel and will get you some classic Fender drive tones at lower volumes. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I've never bothered with the drive channel on Blues Deluxe/Hot Rod Deluxe/Hot Rod Deville. Pedals all the way!
  • All very helpful, cheers chaps.

So if I use dirt pedals into the clean channel, the GB HRD has even more clean headroom thanks to the 12AT7 pre-amp tube, so finding an OD that will push the clean channel nicely, will that be difficult? I have a stock Rat 2 (and a superb Jam Rat clone that I could keep instead of selling it) for higher gain sounds, it’s more the light OD and mid-boost gain sounds I’m looking for.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    The beauty of the HRD is that it is an affordable, portable great sounding pedal platform. The GB version has mods to overcome some of the harsh cone tone, cabinet weight and volume pot taper among other things.
    I tend to get various drive pedals and leave the amp set for the clean channel. While the amp drive can be OK it does sound lacking in depth, not that that is a bad thing in context. I use a cheap tube screamer type, a boss OD1 and blackstar HTdrive. Aint much I can't get close to with those options or combinations (except outright fuzz). The amp delivers without flubbing out.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3315
    edited December 2018
    I nearly bought one of these as I thought the clean sound was excellent and a lot bigger and better than a regular HRD, plus the wattage was good and loud at 40W with higher clean headroom, yet it weighed the same as a DRRI.

On each occasion, I tried it in shops with my pedalboard and it took it really well. It liked a Compressor (Keeley), a Tubescreamer (Keeley) and an OCD and Xotic EP Boost.

Why not set your respective drives on slightly lower gain settings to get an edge sound and then stack them for a bigger sound. You're effectively setting up different channels of gain.

Sadly, they didn't upgrade the Drive Channel on the GB amp and so I'd say, get some pedals in to cover that side and put them through the Clean Channel.

I've said it before but this amp was poorly marketed by Fender and I think they missed a trick. Being a GB signature, it gave you the impression that it was a jazzer's amp yet it's a wonderful clean and pedal platform amp.
  • Mate, I'd have thought your existing CB Brothers would have been perfect for the clean channel side...

The boost option would be nice there too
  • Mate, I'd have thought your existing CB Brothers would have been perfect for the clean channel side...

The boost option would be nice there too
    Hmm. Might have to test that out. I'm just wondering how it would react to the higher headroom in the GB version of the HRD's clean channel. May need a bit of tweaking.
  • The Mad Professor Sweet Honey (or Joyo sweet baby) always works well with a Fender amp, albeit it's quite low gain and subtle.

But then I actually quite like the drive channel on the hot rod amps
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Mad Professor Simble Pre Driver works a treat into the Drive Channel.
  • exocet said:
    Interesting, and just one footswitch and one toggle... looks very simple. And it just fills out the sound of the (More) Drive channel(s)?
    exocet said:
    Interesting, and just one footswitch and one toggle... looks very simple. And it just fills out the sound of the (More) Drive channel(s)?
    Yes, that's it. I use it with the Amp  Drive set low with the Simble set to Hot. However, I should point out that I have modded my GBHRD drive channel to have more bass. That just involves replacing a single capacitor.
  • exocet said:
    exocet said:
    Yes, that's it. I use it with the Amp  Drive set low with the Simble set to Hot. However, I should point out that I have modded my GBHRD drive channel to have more bass. That just involves replacing a single capacitor.
    That was the major issue I found with mine: switch channels and suddenly the bottom end disappears. Easy to replace the capacitor? Any more info on how I do that, what kind of capacitor, cost, etc?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    I'd also like to know this!
  • If you want slight breakup on the clean channel of a HRD I've had good results with the Timmy, Durham Sex Drive and EQD speaker cranker.

All can be set to very low amounts of gain and react well to picking dynamics
  • I haven't tried a GB version, but I demoed the vintage MXR Dist+ into an HRD when I bought it and it sounded awesome. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited December 2018
    exocet said:
    exocet said:
    That was the major issue I found with mine: switch channels and suddenly the bottom end disappears. Easy to replace the capacitor? Any more info on how I do that, what kind of capacitor, cost, etc?

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Fender/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Schematic.pdf

The Capacitor that rolls off the bass on the Drive Channel is C23 and has a value of 1.5nF.

You basically need to make this larger to something like 2.2nF, 3.3nF or 4.7nF 

I settled on 3.3nF. You have a choice as to whether you remove the existing Capacitor or simply solder an additional one in parallel with it e.g. adding a 1.5nF in parallel will give you 3nF total value.

The PCB is screen printed with numbering, I chose to do a "quick and dirty job" by clipping the existing capacitor whilst leaving enough of the old bare leads free to solder the new capacitor to. In this way, I didn't have to remove the PCB from it's mounting - probably saved an hours effort but some may frown at this approach!

Any non polarised capacitor will do the job, go for something with a high voltage rating (350volt +) - I used a Silver Mica type, cost around £1.50 - there's quite a lot of space on that part of the PCB so you shouldn't find it too difficult to find something that fits. A polyester "orange drop" would fit.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    Thanks for that @exocet ;