Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I hardly play guitar anymore

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• When I play and get in the zone, there's nothing like it. It's just finding the time with the busy lives we lead. I'll never regret the hours I put in as a teenager! As I get older, I'm glad to keep playing but feel I ought to spend more time doing physical activity. Playing a lot when younger really is the ideal IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Certainly my playing history has been intermittent. Playing like me being no great recommendation of course...

You should always keep a guitar though, you might get the urge again and it’s always a conversation starter ( British Gas seems to only employ frustrated rock stars to service boilers for example). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2267
    I generally don't play unless I need to. I don't practice as in scales. So I'm learning songs, rehearsing songs or playing them live.

I've got a rehearsal for a carol/Christmas song concert (slade etc) I haven't played guitar since the last one.

I enjoy playing or learning songs but 4 hours of scales or comparing the sounds in my overdrive collection? No thanks
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3674
    Don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll come back.

I left it off for seventeen years. When I returned  I was even rustier than the strings! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72825
    I hardly play electric guitar any more except when I’m repairing them, or amps and pedals. I’m not sure I actually like playing electric guitar - it’s not helped by having broken my arm and (hopefully temporarily) lost some dexterity, but it it’s not just that - I just don’t like the sounds it makes very much. I still play bass a lot, and like it. Acoustic guitar is somewhere in the middle - I like the sound, but find it too difficult to play well at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17726
    tFB Trader
    The reason I've not been on the forum that much recently (and stopped being a mod) is that since leaving my last band I hardly play.

I've come to realise that I'm more interested in playing in bands / performing than playing the guitar (which is why I've also played bass, drums and sung and enjoyed them all equally).

Stupid as it sounds the hardest thing has been dealing with how much being a guitarist / musician was wrapped up with my self image and the psychological effect on me when I accepted I wasn't that guy any more.

I might come back to it, or I might not, but the good thing is I'm not too worried either way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    I need it in my life, I'm not that good a player but I love it, its my thing, and now my 13 yo son is playing too, which Im very happy about. He's a lucky lad, he gets to learn on quality guitars, not like the Egg slicer no name strat that I learned on.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"