Buffers into Buffers...

welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
I'm trying to eliminate a honky sound that I get when I use wireless..

I use an Audio Technica System 10 wireless system and I find that I get a wiry honky tone especially with my PRS where the voicing of the guitar as a whole exaggerates the issue (some would say get rid of the PRS!!)

I also run a Free The Tone buffer/boost pedal before I go to front of Helix and I'm wondering if this is the issue as I'm double buffering the impedance and causing an issue.

Does anyone know if I'm wrong in double buffering? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28462
    Buffers isolate system components from each other, so you can't really "double buffer".

However, as the FTB is unlikely to be completely flat it could be that the various bits are all adding up to a bit of mid boost. Try removing it and see.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72478
    Does the wireless transmitter have any sort of 'cable emulation' or loading control? If not, and you're using a typical short cable from the guitar to the belt pack, then the pickups will have an exaggerated upper-mid response - this is because the 'normal' sound of an electric guitar includes the capacitance of a typical 10'-20' cable, which lowers the resonant peak as well as rolling off a little top-end.

To fix this, you need to fit a small capacitor into one of the plugs on the cable to simulate a longer lead - or into the guitar if you prefer, which is what the 'sweet switch' on the first PRSs did. The value will be in the 220pF-1000pF range depending on what cable you're normally used to. (Or higher, if you use a curly one.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein