Second hand high street retailers selling music stuff

What's Hot
ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
Computer Xchange have recently started selling bits and bobs of music stuff but and their prices seem very
reasonable, this morning I picked up a Boss OC-2 for £40 and was surprized when I removed their pricing sticker
it revealed the words Made in Japan..so keep your eyes peeled  ...
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Dayum those go for decent money, even the non Japanese one! Haha. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    When I asked the Guy if he had an Octave pedal he looked very confused he thought it was software lol.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    I often call into the Cex shop to see if I can pick up anything...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Crack Convertors can unleash the odd gem, but they seem few and far between.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Cash Convertor / Cash Generator can be decent, but only on obscure stuff which they either wildly overprice or, when the stars align, your ship comes in and all that, spectacularly underprice. Anything they can easily find on a Google search will be selling for about the going rate.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1099
    ^ Cash Convertor / Cash Generator can be decent, but only on obscure stuff which they either wildly overprice or, when the stars align, your ship comes in and all that, spectacularly underprice. Anything they can easily find on a Google search will be selling for about the going rate.

The Cash Generator in Manchester has a very good looking Gretsch White Penguin in the window at the moment. I didn't have chance to pop in when I was walking past on Friday.

Sorry if it's a obvious question but can you try guitars out like you would in a normal music shop in these sort of places. Don't want to make a special effort back into town to get looked at like I have two heads for asking?
  • AlexO said:
    ^ Cash Convertor / Cash Generator can be decent, but only on obscure stuff which they either wildly overprice or, when the stars align, your ship comes in and all that, spectacularly underprice. Anything they can easily find on a Google search will be selling for about the going rate.

The Cash Generator in Manchester has a very good looking Gretsch White Penguin in the window at the moment. I didn't have chance to pop in when I was walking past on Friday.

Sorry if it's a obvious question but can you try guitars out like you would in a normal music shop in these sort of places. Don't want to make a special effort back into town to get looked at like I have two heads for asking?
    I bought a Danelectro at the Manchester one in the last month and when I asked to try it they unplugged the security wires and handed it to me, no strap or nothing to sit on, did not offer to plug it into an amp. Although when I asked this at another shop to try a telecaster they had, they said "yeahhhh let's plug it into this Marshall!" Which was an acoustic amp. He didn't want me to try the Roland Cube because it was "a bass amp".
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    They had some pretty decent stuff on the CC website a couple of months ago when I had a look. Not necessarily stuff I needed but definitely had some items I wasn't expecting on there.
  • AlexO said:

I bought a Danelectro at the Manchester one in the last month and when I asked to try it they unplugged the security wires and handed it to me, no strap or nothing to sit on, did not offer to plug it into an amp. Although when I asked this at another shop to try a telecaster they had, they said "yeahhhh let's plug it into this Marshall!" Which was an acoustic amp. He didn't want me to try the Roland Cube because it was "a bass amp".

Yep, this has been my experience too. Sure, they'll let you try the guitar out but you'll be limited to whatever they have in the shop to do it with (meaning it might well have dead strings, and the chances of a decent amp are slim), and the person who serves you probably won't have a clue about guitars.

Definitely err on the side of caution- because they probably aren't experts on guitars it's quite possible that what they're selling is fake, or damaged in ways that aren't immediately apparent- fret wear, bowed or twisted necks etc.This might also work to your favour if a piece of gear you want is faulty in some easily fixable way- broken solder joints, bad pots, that sort of thing...

They usually give you a return period to bring anything back that doesn't work, but again, you might run in to problems if whatever's wrong is more technical than "I plug it in and it doesn't make a noise" or "this bit has been snapped off".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.