Do I need a fret crown?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
After having watch the TPS episode on refrets -  I now notice that some frets around the 12th are starting to get pretty worn and have a knife edge beginning to form. Kind of hard to see in the pics below but do I need a crowning?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Yes. Full dress and crown since the wear is uneven across the frets.

The good news is that there's still tons of height left - no noticeable dents, unless they're in places not pictured - so the amount that needs taking off is fairly small, and you'll probably barely notice... except that the guitar will play better and sound better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks @ICBM To be honest the lower frets have dents too. I had a level and crown in the last 12 months but I do play like a neanderthal. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2294
    If you had it crowned within the last year, they may not had done a great job of it.
    It seems odd for flats to form at the 12th fret, unless you spend all you time there, bending string like a mad man
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    Adey said:
    If you had it crowned within the last year, they may not had done a great job of it.
    It seems odd for flats to form at the 12th fret, unless you spend all you time there, bending string like a mad man
    I recently did a fret dress on a guitar for a young chap who I assumed was a bit of an open chord basher - his band are a sort of indie pop-rock lot - and I was very surprised to find that it was worn almost completely evenly on every fret from the first to about the fifteenth, across all six strings. I asked if it was all his doing, and he said he'd had the guitar from new.

I've now seen his band play live and he's really very good, and does indeed play all over the neck. Just shows you shouldn't assume someone's technique level from their age and the type of music they play.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Rich - pop in and I'll have a look . You do seem to have flattened the top of the fret but it may look worse than it actually is , but it does look like a little attention is needed. You must play that guitar quite hard as it wasn't so long ago we last saw it.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    And there was me thinking you were king of the frets.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Doesn't look that bad to me although it's hard to tell with the string shadows.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Rich - pop in and I'll have a look . You do seem to have flattened the top of the fret but it may look worse than it actually is , but it does look like a little attention is needed. You must play that guitar quite hard as it wasn't so long ago we last saw it.
    I will do. It’s my number one and it’s been gigged hard since it’s been through your hands. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    And there was me thinking you were king of the frets.
    And I may well be :D
    It's just that guitars get played so much more once we've done our stuff to them that natural wear and tear will happen

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Top work doing that It in such a short time. Proper vibrato!!!. Long term Jescar gold or stainless frets might be an idea.