Single coil sized humbucker advice and opinion

What's Hot
Looking to upgrade my bridge pickup in my Chapman ML1 as I miss a high output/humbucker sound.
ive looked at the DiMarzio super distortion or the Seymour Duncan hot rails.
has anyone tried either of these? Or is there another option you recommend?
Thanks for the help
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    The single-coil-sized humbuckers with an alnico bar magnet sound more convincing than the ones with ceramic.

On the other hand, Chapman themselves use the SHR-1B Hot Rails. This should eliminate any possible string to polepiece alignment issues and volume drop outs during string bending.

A sensible compromise might be the SLSD-1 Li'l Screamin' Demon or the new Red Devil.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Best I've tried is the Oil City ones that Ash winds to special order. I put one in the bridge position on my G&L S500 and it sounds wonderful.
  • Iron Gear do a nice one called the Jailhouse Rail. Had this in my Squire http://irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_038.htm

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iron Gear do a nice one called the Jailhouse Rail. Had this in my Squire http://irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_038.htm
    They look great for the price. I thought of just buy something cheaper first to try out. I know there's better quality control with the well known brands but you can get a pickup of equal quality elsewhere 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    Chapman ML1
    Presumably, the Traditional with SSS pickups?

a high output sound.
    Does this have to be a dual-coil hum-cancelling pickup? Would a high output single coil be of interest?

drwiddly said:
    Oil City ones that Ash winds
    Diamond Geezer. 

Replace the tone control pot with a push-pull type. This selects between the two output level modes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    The Hot Rails has mental string pull if you set it too close. Nasty warbling can occur.

I like the Dimarzio Chopper for this - it's high enough output for some good metal but backs of pretty well too.

But if you want a normal looking pickup then the Dimarzio Injector is great. I;ve got them in my strat at the moment. They are the current Paul Gilbert model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It is SSS I did replace the pickup once with a true grit bare knuckle single coil but I need something more powerful 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've just got a Seymour Duncan Red Devil, it sounds fantastic. Warm HB tones, loads of subtlety but has that great grind to it.

I've used a hot rails for ages and the Red Devil is the much better, more toneful pickup, even when used with ultra high gain.

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    If you’re looking for output then the hot rails have tons. More than a JB and even more than active EMGs, they are monstrous. Tone wise they are most similar to Duncan Distortions.
  • andy1839 said:
    I've just got a Seymour Duncan Red Devil, it sounds fantastic. Warm HB tones, loads of subtlety but has that great grind to it.

I've used a hot rails for ages and the Red Devil is the much better, more toneful pickup, even when used with ultra high gain.

Bit more pricey than what I was looking at but they sound good