Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How big is your pedal board?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
edited December 2018 in FX
I made the stupid mistake of dismantling my board. I need to make room for a big muff and a whammy 5. 
My board is 24 inches wide by about 13 or 14 inches. Long story short I'm gonna need a bigger board. 

I'm considering a smaller muff style pedal to free up some room. I don't really want to go any bigger, I had a gigantic touring board thing which I think was nearly four feet wide. That took up a lot of stage space and frustrated the horn section.

I'm not gigging atm but it's a new years resolution. I don't want to end up pissing off any future band mates, so what's a comfortable sized board that I could get away with? Even thinking about multi effects 
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you considered going down a 2 tier route?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• steersteer Frets: 1196
    You forgot to mention how many pedals that you want?

I have 8 or 9 pedals on a pedalboard that is about 60cm x 30cm. About the same size as yours?

Three of my pedals are small sized Mooer ones, and I have a mini-wah, so that saves quite a lot of space, and they are quite well spaced out. I could probably have coped with a pedal board the size down. 

• This is mine which I do play live with. I wouldn't go any bigger....
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Mine is too big, but not big enough!
    One of those large Pedaltrains (same as @jonnygreentrees by the look of it), which I always find myself trying to squeeze things onto.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1099
    For those of you with these what I consider massive pedalboards . Do you not find yourself tap dancing like crazy when playing live?

This my board, it's a older picture so the only pedal I've got left is arp87 delay and my new pedals are more awkward shapes so i'll need a new board but I can't imagine ever needing more than 8 pedals. 
    https://i.imgur.com/XLeXFZU.jpg

Back to the OG post this is brilliant for planning 

http://www.pedalplayground.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    AlexO said:
    For those of you with these what I consider massive pedalboards . Do you not find yourself tap dancing like crazy when playing live?

This my board, it's a older picture so the only pedal I've got left is arp87 delay and my new pedals are more awkward shapes so i'll need a new board but I can't imagine ever needing more than 8 pedals. 
    https://i.imgur.com/XLeXFZU.jpg

Back to the OG post this is brilliant for planning 

http://www.pedalplayground.com
    Nope. I have them spread out across two boards (not possible for everyone I know) and with the right placement, button toppers and approach in terms of playing and songwriting, I don't have any issues. The only issue I've had is accidentally pressing both buttons on the Ditto X2, thereby stopping the loop instead of recording over the top, but that's been solved by button toppers and training myself not to be so clumsy (and also nice bonus of some songs worked nicely with a pause in the loop). Plus I'm the only guitarist in a two piece band (other person being a drummer) so I'm covering all the musical territory with my guitars and pedals. Also a huge part of our music is experimentation and ambience so it's great fun experimenting with pedals, and it leads to some amazing results. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I have one I Custom ordered from @CustomPedalBoards which is slightly larger than their 'large' board at 82 x 48 x 18cm internal, with the lift-up shelf.

I wouldn't want to go any bigger than that personally, as fully-loaded with pedals it is only just about portable.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11894

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Mine has to be small enough to fit a laptop bag. I'm in two bands and I have to carry the board, guitar and amp in one travel.
    Multi-fx is the key to me. A couple of my favorites and a MS-3 for all the other stuff.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    DrJazzTap said:
    I made the stupid mistake of dismantling my board. I need to make room for a big muff and a whammy 5. 
    My board is 24 inches wide by about 13 or 14 inches. Long story short I'm gonna need a bigger board. 

I'm considering a smaller muff style pedal to free up some room. I don't really want to go any bigger, I had a gigantic touring board thing which I think was nearly four feet wide. That took up a lot of stage space and frustrated the horn section.

I'm not gigging atm but it's a new years resolution. I don't want to end up pissing off any future band mates, so what's a comfortable sized board that I could get away with? Even thinking about multi effects 
    why would you piss off any bandmates with the size of your pedalboard?

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    pmg said:

If you're playing a tiny stage and your board takes up half of it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • In a 5 piece band playing mostly pubs I ended up with a Pedaltrain Jr. Sometimes it was a bit in the way, sometimes I couldn't place it in an ideal spot. TBH probably more pedals than I actually needed but regardless I wouldn't have gone bigger. In a smaller band or playing bigger venues different matter. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    sgosden said:
    pmg said:

would have to be a pretty tiny stage 
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited December 2018

This is what I'm rockin' n rollin' right now. I put it together in the last two days, and it's the best my singles board has ever been to be frank.

It's a Pedaltrain PT-3.

Bye!

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
    sgosden said:
    pmg said:

This 

The majority of places I played in the south west were tiny clubs or pubs. And having a massive pedal board taking up half the stage is a tad inconsiderate for other band mates. And then if you have to share a stage with other bands and gear etc
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
    Have you considered going down a 2 tier route?

I have, I'm a stickler for trying to use my old flightcase (an old spider flightcase warehouse one), I don't think I've got the depth to have two levels. Looks like I'm going to have to spend some money in the new year.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7826

Fortunately I don't play live* :)

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicspeds2018jpg

*I sort of do sometimes, in that I start with the Drone Thing and then play the pedals while recording the resultant racket :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Mines back down to just a tuner, tubescreamer and a fuzz. Generally I stick to 5 pedals and under on my PT Metro 16. I like the simplicity and don't like having pedals that I'd only use for 10 seconds of one song.
  • Some great looking boards here - hats off! 
    I prefer to keep it down to a minimum, the main consideration being ability to troubleshoot quickly in the event of a problem. It's only happened to me 2 or 3 times in 100s of gigs -each time in the soundcheck not the show thankfully. With a small board I was able to find the problem quickly and get it sorted. I use a battered old Boss BCB-60 which takes up to 9 pedals with a bit of creativity at squeezing them in. I usually have 7 - tuner, fuzz, 3 drives, reverb and delay. I additionally a trem instead of reverb. Lots of storage in the Boss for spare patch leads, picks, batteries, capo etc.

It's not an elegant looking board but works perfectly for me. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    I'm on a PT2 for my home/small gig type board.