Ageing a Les Paul....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like it.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks great. And just ignore those comments about ‘lose the pickguard’ - they’re wrong!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14327
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Looks great Scott! Nicely understated. For razor work it looks great, you’ve managed to get some lighter lines in which look more authentic and which I don’t generally see on TM/Gibson razor aged guitars. One thing I would suggest if you’re doing more is that you put a few dings into the finish before you start then take your lines from them, lots of the finish checking on vintage guitars emminates from the dings, not all of course, but it give that extra ‘realness’ to it :)
    Neil - ref the few dings before starting with the lines :- is that a bit like the chicken and the egg ? - Ding first then aged - or aged first then ding - Surely an original 60 year old Gibson would now have naturally acquired both -  I would agree it adds some additional 'aged' character - I assume be subtle and then add more if required

Always interesting looking at any genuine 50/60 year old Gibson v a replica, ref the aged work and how realistic it is 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    @lonestar I think it looks lush mate. But I'm also really liking your photography, lovely stuff.

@guitars4you Interesting, if its any help in the chicken and egg scenario, my 2014 R8 has started cracking on its own, but they have only started from around the controls, I assume from the holes in the top?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14327
    tFB Trader
    terada said:
    @lonestar I think it looks lush mate. But I'm also really liking your photography, lovely stuff.

@guitars4you Interesting, if its any help in the chicken and egg scenario, my 2014 R8 has started cracking on its own, but they have only started from around the controls, I assume from the holes in the top?

Interesting over the years how many 'complaints' arise from such 'checking' within the industry - requesting warranty repair work etc - I wonder how many complained in the early 60's about how their 59 LP had faded from sunburst to 'unburst
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Looks like a nicely worn old guitar rather than something that's been dragged along the road at high speed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    guitars4you said:

Interesting over the years how many 'complaints' arise from such 'checking' within the industry - requesting warranty repair work etc - I wonder how many complained in the early 60's about how their 59 LP had faded from sunburst to 'unburst
    Some still do - a friend recently had a MusicMan refinished (or maybe the body replaced, I can't remember!) under warranty because of some minor checking. I thought he was bonkers.

Some like it, some don't... I wouldn't pay extra to have it done, but I don't care if it happens anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein