Fender MIJ Foto Flame 62 reissue Mods...

What's Hot
mpcmpc Frets: 0
I have a 93/94 Fender MIJ Foto Flame 62 reissue that i bought from new. The guitar is ok but I don't like the lacquer on the back of neck. 
What would you recommend I use to safely remove it and have that nice 'worn-in' feel?
I was also thinking of replacing the saddles for Raw Vintage RVS108 - anyone got experience with these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    A lot of the Fotoflames had a bulky old neck, lots of scope for messing about. For removing the finish i just use good quality sandpaper
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Use masking tape to protect the headstock, the neck heel and the fingerboard edges.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mpcmpc Frets: 0
    I only want to move the lacquer on the 'usable' part of the neck where i play the most. I don't intend removing all of it of the neck
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    mpc said:
    I only want to move the lacquer on the 'usable' part of the neck where i play the most. I don't intend removing all of it of the neck
    so...
    Use masking tape to protect the headstock, the neck heel and the fingerboard edges.

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    im sure i read on this forum to use the dark green pan scourers for a nice matt finish ??
    I may be wrong ??
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    I wouldn't bother finishing it though, mine has been to bare wood over 10 years now and its fine and lovely with just a run over with steel wool once a year

• mpcmpc Frets: 0
    sweepy said:
    A lot of the Fotoflames had a bulky old neck, lots of scope for messing about. For removing the finish i just use good quality sandpaper
    What grade of sandpaper should i be looking to use?
    I presume finishing with 0000 wire wool?
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542

I have a Silver Series Squier that I plan on doing something similar. My experience is limited, but I suspect 80grit for removal of old finish, then 120grit to remove the scratches from 80, followed by 180 grit and lastly 240 grit.

You could do it all with 240, but it would clog quickly and take a long time. Working up through the grits is key to efficient work.

Cheers,

Adam

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542

And, once you hit 240 grit, you may not need to use the wire wool at all - though personal preference plays a role here.

Adam

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    Use a green dish scourer, less damage and easier to get a fine finish
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mirkon Mirla pads, very fine grade, work well in my experience. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/