Which DAW

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DAWs....

Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Logic Pro X. Those are the ones I would recommend. They're all relatively similar in functionality and relatively easy to get into.
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Verified Internet Hate-Agent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 570
    edited January 3
    Well - I jumped on Studio One.

Basically, I found the Pro for £169..... Download version not a box'd copy but still - and given it comes with Melodyne Essentials bundled which costs £70 at its cheapest thats £100 for the Daw.  Given Cubase Pro was £400+.....

I made more of a saving (or not depending how you look at it).  I used to use an old Alpha Track with my Protools rig which made such a difference.  So I also get a Fader Port Mk 2.  This was sold for £169 - BUT it includes Studio One Artist.  The same place selling S1 Pro was doing the Artist to Pro Upgrade for £139.  So for a touch over £300 I have the full blown Studio 1 Pro DAW, the Fader Port 2 control surface, and Melodyne Essentials.

Given the Port (which I wanted anyway at some point) and Melodyne (if bought seperately for Reaper) would have cost £245 on their own - I think its a steel.

Now Ive just got to record more....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 617
     Top deal Paul - where was that from? I’m thinking of upgrading from Artist to Pro and also fancy a Faderport! 

@robwright ;

Inta Audio.

Link to their Prosonus Page:

https://www.inta-audio.com/presonus-m32
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 617
    Thanks Paul! 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 1136
    @robwright you can also check out KVR classifieds for an S1 Pro deal....Ive been using Pro since it came out...its really cool...not that I can operate half the functions ! 

Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    Presonus Studio One Pro.
    Link to my first track in years using studio one plus lots on new instruments.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147260/first-track-in-ages?new=1
  • Link to my first track in years using studio one plus lots on new instruments.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147260/first-track-in-ages?new=1
    YES YES YES! LET THAT GEEEETAR SING BROTHER!!

Also glad you're getting on with your new DAW, its actually the only one I've never had any experience with but everyone seems to sing its praises.
    edited January 6
    Yet, I'd not heard of it until A week ago.

I used pro tools le around 2006, and switched to reaper when I upgraded my pc and the interface wasn't compatable.  I'd used cubase back in the eary 90s on an amega.

I looked at ableton lite, and cubase ai as well as studio one - also considered staying on reaper with some additions.

It was a toss up in the end between cubase and studio one. Cubase was a little more intuitive setting up paths but workflow is smoother in studio one.

Ultimately though to get the features I wanted to make the move from reaper justifiable meant cubase pro which was (cheapest I could find) £369.  I got studio one pro AND a faded port for £306.

No brainer in the end.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 693
    PreSonus have been clever bundling Studio Pro Artist with their interfaces.

I upgraded from SP3 Artist to SP4 Pro for about £130 during Black Friday.

To be honest, Artist was fine for a limited user like me for over a year.  I just missed the option of being able to mixdown to MP3 that's only available in Pro.
  • josephdoucejosephdouce Frets: 1
    edited January 10
    Tried them all... Reaper hands down, best community, YouTube tutorials for EVERYTHING, easy to use. Not technically free but $60 isn't breaking the bank after 60 days trial (which doesn't actually end) I started with reaper thought "I'll try the more "PRO" stuff" always ended up going back to Reaper. 

Also there are no ridiculous limitations on Reaper, everything works, forever.

Throwing money at the issue wont make your mixes any better, some big ticket productions have been done with reaper, yea they probably splashed out on plugins but still. Reaper is getting big in the game industry and at least one Hollywood producer uses Reaper and thought it was good enough for him to start making YouTube tutorials on the subject.
    David Farmer (The Hobbit, Ant-Man, World Of Warcraft) uses REAPER for sound design and has started making videos on the subject.

• Tried them all... Reaper hands down, best community, YouTube tutorials for EVERYTHING, easy to use. Not technically free but $60 isn't breaking the bank after 60 days trial (which doesn't actually end) I started with reaper thought "I'll try the more "PRO" stuff" always ended up going back to Reaper. 

Also there are no ridiculous limitations on Reaper, everything works, forever.

Throwing money at the issue wont make your mixes any better, some big ticket productions have been done with reaper, yea they probably splashed out on plugins but still. Reaper is getting big in the game industry and at least one Hollywood producer uses Reaper and thought it was good enough for him to start making YouTube tutorials on the subject.
    David Farmer (The Hobbit, Ant-Man, World Of Warcraft) uses REAPER for sound design and has started making videos on the subject.

yeah some people still make the mistake that Reaper is somehow either for beginners or lacking features. Its incredibly powerful ReaWire is amazing.
  • I'd advise anyone to go with reaper and splash the extra cash on something usefull. The quality of input devices is a much bigger factor then your DAW.