Pickguards

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2610
in Guitar tFB Trader

I was wondering..  With discussion on LP pickguards on or off as well as for aesthetic reasons they obviously actually have a function..  My general rule for looks on LPs is that if it has a nice top with a nice tasteful burst or lovely wood on show they should come off so you see as much as the top as possible.. Solid colours, it matters less..

But my actual point of the thread. I also don't mind taking them off my LPs because I don't actually need a pickguard. My playing style (or possibly lack of one) means I don't ever hit the body when im playing and im wondering for how many people its actually a necessity to have one, or just don't mind damaging that area and showing the battle scars?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    I beat hell out of mine most gigs, I've broken three scratchplates and knock the paint off when they're not fitted, so yeah, they do serve a purpose.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2qk2o7n.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    I beat hell out of mine most gigs, I've broken three scratchplates and knock the paint off when they're not fitted, so yeah, they do serve a purpose.

I gave you a wow...  But WOW..  That's one hell of a playing style you must have 

How long does it take to start showing?

• NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    The "pickguard" on a Les Paul is referred to as a finger plate and that is exactly what I use it for.

My unfortunate style has me anchoring my right pinky and on a carved top LP it would just float in mid air which I why I always want a finger plate on a LP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72532
    Gibson actually called it a ‘finger rest’ originally.

I constantly hit it with my fingernails, which I find irritating, and also makes an annoying clicking noise if you’re playing quietly at home. I don’t hit the body if it’s not there though, so the arc of thrashing must be somewhere in between the two heights...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    p90fool said:

Manos de piedra!!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    Fuengi said:
    p90fool said:

Manos de piedra!!
    Or a stone plectrum!
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I think they look great on. However my 2003 Standard isn't drilled for one and I cannot bring myself to drill it to fit one. So yes and no:)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4193
    sawyer said:
    I think they look great on. However my 2003 Standard isn't drilled for one and I cannot bring myself to drill it to fit one. So yes and no:)
    You could use double sided adhesive tabs, it’d mark the nitro though
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    sawyer said:
    My '04 standard isn't drilled for one either and I'm glad as it shouldn't have a pickguard on a nice flame, gold tops are a different matter altogether and should have one.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I have the pickguard on.
    But it is not to protect the top.
    I leave it in place because the Gibson Les Paul is an iconic design. Every part of it.

For the same reason I would not move the 3 way toggle to a new position below the bridge. Because it would look horribly wrong. An iconic design/image  is not something I want to mess with.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    But I do take this seriously.

It is now time for the topic to have it's own forum sub-section.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    When I think of pickguards on Les Pauls I always picture old men in tuxedos resting their fat fingers on the guard and playing plummy slow jazz solos to a bored  and inattentive audience.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    Sassafras said:
    When I think of pickguards on Les Pauls I always picture old men in tuxedos resting their fat fingers on the guard and playing plummy slow jazz solos to a bored  and inattentive audience.
    Yep, that's how I keep busting them and knocking the paint off.
    ;)

When I see Les Pauls without them it just screams 1980s to me. 

@Rabs I wore the paint off in a matter of months after breaking the first scratchplate. It is a heavily gigged guitar though.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10586
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    The "pickguard" on a Les Paul is referred to as a finger plate and that is exactly what I use it for.

My unfortunate style has me anchoring my right pinky and on a carved top LP it would just float in mid air which I why I always want a finger plate on a LP.
    Mine too :-(
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message