Gordon Smith - Auden Era

What's Hot
MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
Has anyone got experience with the Auden era GS range?  I know that the guitars split the pack before - some loved them, some hated them, and they had a rep for being variable in terms of build quality and finish.

While I'm considering Strat-ish guitars, GS is on the list; I've always loved the idea of them, being as I was a big Billy Bragg fan in the 1980's...

A nicely spec'd GS Strat will come in at about the same price as a Fender Professional/G&L Deluxe Legacy.  
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9725
    Only ever seen a handful. An old GS2  which frankly was nothing to write home about, and a couple of the Auden era ones (a GS1 and a T-type) both of which looked great. I only played the GS1 - sounded good, looked to be nicely put together, but not really my thing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I believe @Fiftyshadesofjay is an endorsee and should be able to give you an honest account of them.
  • @dindude has one IIRC
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I've got an Auden GS1 and the build is fantastic - not sure GS would be my first visit for a Strat type though - just not what I associate them with, though never played one so who knows....
    @dindude has one IIRC

Well how's that for timing....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited December 2018
    the older ones I've tried are nice to play but looks wise they look like something any of us amateurs made in a shed

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    MLten80 said:
    the older ones I've tried are nice to play but looks wise they look like something any of us amateurs made in a shed

If I could make guitars as well as the two I had, I wouldn't be an amateur. They were some of the best guitars I've owned 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    I ordered a GS1000 at the beginning of last year, and I've been very happy with it. I'd put the quality above most Gibson USA guitars I've played, and by that I'm not referring to poor QC on Gibsons, just the average quality they achieve 'on a good day'. Price-wise it came in below an SG junior, but was spec'd how I wanted it; colour, ebony board, locking tuners, etc. When you consider it's essentially a UK hand made guitar, the price is quite amazing. I'd certainly recommend them - though I've no idea what they're like with Strats!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7789
    edited December 2018
    The new ones are great, played a blinding GS1.5 last year that would best most vintage Gibson juniors. Would definitely buy one if I needed to. 
    The other thing to say about my Auden GS1 is that the tuning is the most solid I’ve ever had on any set neck, 3 a side headstock guitar, and I’ve owned many. Also has a 1 piece body and 1 piece neck - it’s a very sorted guitar for the tiny price I paid.
  • GarpGarp Frets: 209
    I've played a few and really liked them - especially liked a nicely specced GS1.5 I tried but would prefer the single cut version as the double cut looks a bit small on me.

I'm considering ordering either a GS1.5 or possibly a Classic S - I saw some nice ones this week in the GS Facebook group.

Video of a custom built S type from Chris Buck:

I've got a Graf Deluxe which I really like. Picked it up new for a great price and the quality is really good. Its currently got 42 LOLs and 2 WOWs on the "Rate My Guitar" thread so I guess no-one else likes it.  :s

It's only got five strings... and three of them are G.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80 said:

I can't comment on the recent Auden guitars I'm sorry.  I have a 1994 GS1 and this 1998 Twentieth Anniversary,  maple top, birds eye maple neck and binding to match.  Hardly knocked up in a shed by an amateur !  

• Struggling to post images ??
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1176
    edited December 2018
    https://imgur.com/GcD9kd8

https://imgur.com/7Q6xCej

https://imgur.com/nFw0a3U

Not sure if I've got it right.  First time for everything !
    Here’s mine, gloss top, stain backs and sides.
    https://i.imgur.com/oi4jiUL.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My #1 is my 1990 Gypsy. I was trying some basses in Merchant City Music a few months back and almost tried some, but all they had was GS1 and GS2 and was hoping to try something different
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4120
    edited December 2018
    I bought a GS2deluxe in 2017.  

Cons
    The pickups were wired the wrong way around which the shop fixed
    After 6 months the Jack wiring failed which I fixed
    The fret ends needed filling which I did
    Being a flat top the upper edge chafed my inner arm whilst playing which i sanded but it made no difference
    The pickup screws were really proud of the pickup surround and chafed my fingers whilst playing,  I had to tape over it
    The adjuster screw in the bridge was poorly finished and chafed my palm whilst playing,  I had to tape over it. 
    After a while of owner shi0 I felt the pickups were thin and weedy,  I changed them but nothing I did have any resonant tone. I think the wood was just bad. 

I sold it eventually. 

Pros 
    Neck was super fast
    Balance was good
    Looked good
    Tuning was stable

Overall will never buy another

• This was mine

I bought a GS2deluxe in 2017.  

Cons
    The pickups were wired the wrong way around which the shop fixed
    After 6 months the Jack wiring failed which I fixed
    The fret ends needed filling which I did
    Being a flat top the upper edge chafed my inner arm whilst playing which i sanded but it made no difference
    The pickup screws were really proud of the pickup surround and chafed my fingers whilst playing,  I had to tape over it
    The adjuster screw in the bridge was poorly finished and chafed my palm whilst playing,  I had to tape over it. 
    After a while of owner shi0 I felt the pickups were thin and weedy,  I changed them but nothing I did have any resonant tone. I think the wood was just bad. 

I sold it eventually. 

Pros 
    Neck was super fast
    Balance was good
    Looked good
    Tuning was stable

Overall will never buy another

Interesting, I picked up a few in shops in 2017 and they didn’t feel great, I think Auden have really got their act together this year but are bitten a bit by inconsistency whilst they were building their operation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom