Noisy Volume Knob

Hello everybody  =)

My guitar is Fender American Deluxe. I can hear annoying noise when I turn the volume knob between 6 and 8, especially with overdrive. Interestingly enough it disappears when I turn the knob to 10. What can it be? And can I solve it myself?...please advise.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    edited December 2018
    IanShaw said:
    My guitar is Fender American Deluxe.
    Please specify whether your guitar is a Telecaster or a Stratocaster. What pickups does it have? Is the control wiring circuitry standard or has it been modified?

With no information to go on, my first guess is the S-1 combined volume pot and mode switch. 

The simplest DIY solution to attempt is to spray electrolubricant into the resistance track portion of the pot. I use Servisol. Other brands are available.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • IanShaw said:
    My guitar is Fender American Deluxe.
    Please specify whether your guitar is a Telecaster or a Stratocaster. What pickups does it have? Is the control wiring circuitry standard or has it been modified?
    Thanks for the advice.

My guitar is a Stratocaster manufactured in 2007. It has SCN Noiseless pickups.
    No modifications has been made to the wiring circuitry.  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Do you mean scratching/crackling when the pot is turned between 6 and 8, or buzz/crackle when it’s set there and not turned?

If it’s the first then contact cleaner/lubricant should fix it. If it’s the second it’s likely to be a shielding issue or just an unusually noisy environment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Do you mean scratching/crackling when the pot is turned between 6 and 8, or buzz/crackle when it’s set there and not turned?

If it’s the first then contact cleaner/lubricant should fix it. If it’s the second it’s likely to be a shielding issue or just an unusually noisy environment.
    Hello and thanks for the reply.

It's a strong BUZZ that gets stronger and noisier when I start moving the knob from around 3. The noisiest range is between 6-8. And yes it stays there when I don't turn it! So it looks like a shielding issue. What do you recommend? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    IanShaw said:
    ICBM said:

Hello and thanks for the reply.

It's a strong BUZZ that gets stronger and noisier when I start moving the knob from around 3. The noisiest range is between 6-8. And yes it stays there when I don't turn it! So it looks like a shielding issue. What do you recommend? 
    First check if the string ground connection is OK - simply hold the guitar so it's buzzing, and take your hands off the strings. If the buzz is louder when you're not touching it then the strings are grounded. If the buzz stays the same, the ground wire has come off, most likely at the tremolo claw.

If the ground is good you may need to check that the body cavity shielding is effective - modern USA Fenders use conductive paint, which I've always found less effective than foil anyway, but sometimes it's even worse because the screw terminal which contacts it has come loose or just never made a good connection in the first place.

I have quietened a lot of guitars with paint shielding by redoing it using foil - over the top, no need to remove the paint.

It might also be worth checking the mains earthing in your house or wherever you're playing - if the earth is poor or missing then the shielding will be less effective, although the amp and the guitar will appear to work OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein