Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are the Rolling Stones the greatest rock and roll band ever?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    The stones wouldn't make my top 50.
    But this is where this thread has departed from the ops question, the ‘who are your top 50 bands’ thread is a different question entirely. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9677
    edited January 2019
    Jagger best frontman? Freddie Mercury and Lee Brilleaux were both better IMHO.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11304
    I think a fair few opinions on here have been influenced by the time and manner of the FBer's listening to the Stones. If you came across each album as it was released then you are hearing an incremental body of work which with each new release took them further away from their R&B beginnings.

Consider the period that @Teyeplayer mentions, and then look at the songs that were released as singles in that time. Fantastic stuff.

I think the impact would be far smaller if your introduction to their work was at a distance of several decades and misssed boith the thrill of a new release and its comparison to what else was around at the time.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    No. Jeck Beck is.

Sorry, wrong thread.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    No. Jeck Beck is.

Sorry, wrong thread.

We all love a bit of Jeck.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6151
    tFB Trader
    no but they are the oldest and most pickled Rock and Roll band 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I like the stones, but saw them on the bridges to babylon tour. So dull. They were already ready to stop then.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Brize said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Freebird said:
    not_the_dj said:
    I’d put Springsteen at the top of my personal list. Watch those legendary late 70s and early 80s shows and he was captivating back then (and still is).
    Bloody brilliant.
    Until you get to the pathetic jumping at 3:35.
    It seems to be a Barcelona thing cos the crowd were really into it. Old Mick would have had a heart attack if confronted with such spontaneous exuberence  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22890
    edited January 2019

I've never really known what to make of the Stones.  The first of their albums I was aware of was Some Girls, which came out when I was 14, and I guess by that stage they were already starting to be seen as past their best, or at least coming to the end of their glory years.

I'm very old - 54 - but even to me, as far back as I can remember, they've always seemed like something of a nostalgia act, one of those bands that people who never see bands go to see.  And I've always thought of Jagger as a ridiculous old tit.

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    They will certainly be up there. I actually prefer them now as opose to in their "hey day" as I think musically they are better (more skillful).
    Is Mick the best front man - no
  • I would say yes. 
  • Dare I mention.....Led Zep?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not a party until you've heard at least 10 Stones hits one after the other.

I used to love playing pool in the local to the sound of the Stones on the juke box (all the old hits, mind you!). Not sure about THE greatest but one of the greatest.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself