Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Instant Coffee

What's Hot

Comments

• deanodeano Frets: 622
    I don't understand why instant coffee is so nasty. I can only assume they use the cheapest, nastiest, most overcooked beans to make it. I wonder what it would be like with artisan beans hand roasted to taste.
    It would taste like coffee.

I can't tell the difference. I am a tea drinker pretty much exclusively but I have a cup of coffee once or twice a month  or so. Whether I have a cup of coffee bought from a shop or whether I have instant they both taste the same to me. Like coffee. I can't tell the difference between one and the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @deano no mate - the cheap'n'nasty instant stuff just doesn't taste like coffee. You might as well say that Watneys Red Barrel tastes like proper ale, or that Bells is the same as Talisker. None of those are true, trust me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Nescafe Gold Barista Style
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited December 2018
    I’m surprised at the dismissal of instant coffee. I can happily drink instant, a takeaway (Starbucks costa etc) or sometimes a cafeteria brew at home. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    Instant is fine with enough sugar and milk. The only coffee that's guaranteed to be crap is the liquid filth at training and conferences. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Instant is fine with enough sugar and milk. The only coffee that's guaranteed to be crap is the liquid filth at training and conferences. 
    You've just damned it by saying its fine with milk. Milk SPOILS coffee!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • I am reminded of a conversation I had with a fellow employee back in the early 80s at ICL, in front of one of the coffee machines.

Me: I have a theory that in the catering industry there is a brown powder
    Him: Go on
    Me: Whatever you cut it with: salt, sugar, powdered milk, etc you can make anything you like out of it - tea, coffee, chocolate, gravy ...
    Him: Yes, and I could also suggest an origin for the brown powder
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Bought some Alta Rica.

Still think I prefer Douwe Egberts
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Sporky said:
    Milk is the devil’s spunk.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    edited December 2018
    Percol instant espresso for me.

We have some big tubs of douwe Egberts at work that taste like gravy.... Bad gravy.

I tend to have one cup of proper coffee, then switch to instant to get me through the morning.   No caffeine after 2  now though... And might be pulling that back to midday soon

I don't bother with decaffeinated, I just drink something else
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    WezV said:
    Percol instant espresso for me.

We have some big tubs of douwe Egberts at work that taste like gravy.... Bad gravy.

I tend to have one cup of proper coffee, then switch to instant to get me through the morning.   No caffeine after 2  now though... And might be pulling that back to midday soon

I don't bother with decaffeinated, I just drink something else
    Which Douwe Egberts?  The dark roast one is better than the other one.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    I love that this thread has more replies than pretty much any guitar related thread I've started.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I love that this thread has more replies than pretty much any guitar related thread I've started.
    If you’d have started this thread on basschat you’d have had one reply giving you short shrift about drinking tea instead of coffee, and then the thread would have descended into a “warm pot, milk first, milk second, bags vs loose leaf vs herbal” debate that would have raged for 10 pages.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    I have a Nespresso machine - it makes decent coffee.
  • Sporky said:

Milk makes some coffee. 

I drink race's fudge blend and it's a medium roast they put together that, when brewed espresso style and combined with texturised milk, tastes like fudge. Black, it's pretty uninspiring.

Likewise,there are some amazing light and medium roast single estates (I love a nice blackcurranty peaberry or a black tea-esque Ethiopian yirgacheffe that are absolutely ruined with the addition of milk... And don't especially work as an espresso either - it's pour over or immersion.

But that's just my taste - I love coffee, a lot, and would encourage people to taste fine coffees but people should drink what they like, even if that is a poor quality roast with enough milk to make it a milkshake and topped with pumpkin syrup.

• Another vote for Percol
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited December 2018
    I grew up on Maxwell House being constantly 'brewed up' as it seemed to accompany every domestic violent act and incessant marital arguing in the home and my Mother's family siblings generally...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Sporky said:
    I’d make the same argument for sugar.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Lavazza Classico is actually not bad as far as instants go. Does the job when I’m out of the real stuff