Recommend me a good cheap parlour guitar.

markjmarkj Frets: 914
As the title says budget around £200. Any advice welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tanglewood very nearly pulled the trigger on a beautiful TWJP http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/acoustic/java.html last week but the mortgage got in the way
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    http://www.djmmusic.com/p-4992-vintage-parlour-series-acoustic-guitar.aspx?gclid=CODgyuPJ8b0CFScHwwodoLUAug

There's an electro version that goes for about a ton more, which if you're ever likely to gig it might be worth saving the pennies for, but the base version is pretty awesome. 
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    recording king probably do one...the ros16 is an outstanding 000 style..
  • I've got a Tanglewood TW133ASM.  I think the official price is about £250 but I got mine for £150 new (it's either B-stock or ex-display but you'd never know - perhaps the odd tiny mark if you look really closely in the right light).  Plastic saddle and nut if that bothers you (although easy enough to change if it does), but sounds really good to me and has to be a bargain for the price I paid.  Looks quite nice as well.
  • Gretsch jim dandy? I've got HORRIBLE GAS for one of these!

Vintage V300 and V880 are both nice, the v300 is a folk size, but still compact & sounds great. (The mahogany version is even more special). The 880 is more of a true parlour- more suited to delicate picking rather than strumming.

I have an Art et Lutherie ami- it's my sofa guitar. I got it second hand & love it. I still lust after one of those damn gretsch's though!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I like my Jim Dandy :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Still liking my Jim Dandy too.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    edited May 2014
    It's difficult to ignore the Jim Dandy for the price @ under £140.

For those that own them, what was the setup like from the box? Nut and saddle height good?
  • The set up on mine was fine. Maybe a touch on the high side but that can be addressed if needed. I might get around to it but have found playing it fine anyway. I think the weakest point on mine are the tuners which aren't the greatest but are adequate. I guess you could change them if you wanted to but I bought it just to have lying around the house to pick up and have a strum when needed and it definitely meets that need. It's a simple fun nice sounding guitar for not very much money.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I thought the intonation was slightly suspect and the action a bit high, however the chap in the shop (Jack White's Ipswich) tweaked it while I waited and its been fine since.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.