I made a thing.

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26703

Pretty simple at the moment - it's kind of like a combined MIDI relay switcher and loop controller. Effectively, it controls the bypass state of the delays (which have trails, one of the main reasons I haven't just gone for a normal loop switcher). You can set their bypass state and save it to presets, then step through and recall them as necessary. It's supposed to be MIDI-controlled, but I forgot to order one of the key components for the MIDI input circuit, so that'll have to wait until later today (thank you, Amazon).

This version will go straight on my new pedalboard when it's boxed up.

It actually works astonishingly well, and the code's pretty flexible so I can add relays and other cool stuff for the next version. That "other cool stuff" will, in theory, be controlling the parameters of the delays themselves. That's part of the idea behind using the Joyo pedals - their guts are small enough to fit in a box that's not huge.

Once I've got that, I may go even further do tap tempo, and allow presets to decide whether the two delays are dependent on each other (for an easy way to simulate a dual-tap delay) or completely independent.

It's not rocket science, but it was astonishingly easy. The bit I'm most proud of is figuring out a neat way to run all the switches off a single analogue pin on the Arduino (different resistor values for each switch). Unfortunately, I then discovered that even schoolkids playing with Arduinos have figured that one out.

Ah, well.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1595
    Looks awesome.  I built a nice little arduino tap tempo to CV controller a few years ago. If you want the code let me know if can dig it out.  Just uses the hardware interrupt on an external pin with a bit of digital filtering
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I've no idea what I've just read, but really well done anyway!
  • very nice, all you need now is a 3D printer and you will knocking them out to us for £200 a pop (hand built)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • dindude said:
    Yep me too. 

Two Joyo Quattros - I'm very tempted by one as the most affordable filtered delay and it's in a tiny pedal. As I haven't plugged in my pedal board for 6 months I'm sure it would be a pointless purchase even for £50.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26703
    edited December 2018
    dindude said:
    Yep me too. 

Two Joyo Quattros - I'm very tempted by one as the most affordable filtered delay and it's in a tiny pedal. As I haven't plugged in my pedal board for 6 months I'm sure it would be a pointless purchase even for £50.
    They really do sound great. My only worry is that I'm not sure they'll handle the line-level signal coming from the preamp; I may need to keep the output volume low and crank the power amp until I can get a better solution in place.

In other news, the optocouplers are here so I can build the MIDI circuit...the project boxes are also here, and it turns out I need to pay more attention to the details; I got ones that are 2.5cm tall, which is barely enough to fit the Arduino in (much less the Arduino, the relays and the switching board). I intended to get the 6.5cm ones :(
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28573
    Making a thing is pretty cool.

I should probably have a go at rewriting the code in my Helix looper controller. What's there seems a bit hand-wavy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    dindude said:
    I wish I understood this sort of thing, but am resigned to being a luddite and being impressed by folk who do......I get what it does, just no idea how...well done Lee!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    dindude said:
    I wish I understood this sort of thing, but am resigned to being a luddite and being impressed by folk who do......I get what it does, just no idea how...well done Lee!
    That's the thing - with a little coding knowledge, a pile of bits and absolutely no idea of electronics, I managed to put it together in less than a day. It really is easy to do this sort of thing, I've just never really tried.

Of course, now I have two more problems...

1 - Figure out how to get it all into a box that's actually useful.

2 - My brain's full of ideas and it wants me to automate the whole world.

I see an awful lot of Arduinos in my near future.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Sounds like we need to build a forum archive of Arduino driven effects
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    edited December 2018
    eh?

Image result for kurt russell in the thing

tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• In other news, the optocouplers are here so I can build the MIDI circuit...the project boxes are also here, and it turns out I need to pay more attention to the details; I got ones that are 2.5cm tall, which is barely enough to fit the Arduino in (much less the Arduino, the relays and the switching board). I intended to get the 6.5cm ones :(
    You could bypass the whole arduino thing and build your own microprocessor for even small footprint.. I guess all in all they’re less than 10 elements put together
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    ...why doesn't solder stick anymore...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    dindude said:
    That's the thing - with a little coding knowledge, a pile of bits and absolutely no idea of electronics, I managed to put it together in less than a day. It really is easy to do this sort of thing, I've just never really tried.

Could you get away with an Arduino Nano? They're amazingly tiny! 
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    57Deluxe said:
    ...why doesn't solder stick anymore...??
    No lead in it.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Foster said:
    paulnb57 said:
    dindude said:

Could you get away with an Arduino Nano? They're amazingly tiny! 
    Yep, I probably could - it'd need an external voltage converter though (I'm running the whole thing off a 9V supply from the pedalboard), which is a minor pain.

I'm actually about to box it all up - I've moved most of the electronics off the breadboard onto stripboard, just considering whether I can be bothered putting indicator LEDs on it (they're not really necessary, since the pedals' own indicators do exactly the same thing).

Oh, and I need to add a MIDI out port as well. Should be pretty trivial, in theory.
    <space for hire>
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I bought a bunch of voltage converters that fit into a breadboard - useful for powering motors and suchlike. I'm sure they're made by elegoo 
  • Foster said:
    I bought a bunch of voltage converters that fit into a breadboard - useful for powering motors and suchlike. I'm sure they're made by elegoo 
    Yeah, my Arduino is an Elegoo. Think it was something like £25 for the whole starter kit.

<space for hire>
  • Board layout needs some work though. Get that thing on a dark stage and you'll have mashed your foot through that circuit board by the second solo. Additionally a tidied layout will free up space for a korg miku 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ