Marshall advice please - got an Origin 20 Combo....

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
edited December 2018 in Amps
I'm gassing for a Marshall, but I know more about the dark side of the moon (not the album) than I do about these amps, had a VS100 a million years ago, it was OK I suppose, but I'd like something smaller and all valve, say 20w, with a master volume, one or two channel, I may be in a minority but I quite like the sound of the Origin 20 in YT demos.......but before I dive in, is there an older, reliable option I should consider?
Currently using a Jet City JCA20HV head....which is fab, but I need to itch the scratch while I can!
Cheers
Happy full of wind Boxing Day!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6804
    You should definitely and immediately buy a hand wired Marshall Astoria Dual combo. By complete coincidence I happen to be selling one on here. :)

30w with 5w switch. Dual channel. Has KT66s but can use EL34s. 

But failing that I think the Origin is a great sounding pedal platform amp. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    edited December 2018
    The Origin or the current DSL series should be fine, or the Mini Jubilee. I haven’t seen or heard of any reliability problems with any of them. (Although strictly speaking the Jubilee is not all-valve, if that matters.)

The older DSL201 has some issues - probably best avoided, likewise the Class 5. There aren’t really that many older small valve Marshalls - there’s the 18W series (no master volume), the original Jubilee, and various JCM800 and 900 1x12”s, but they’re all more or less the size and weight of a VS100 - or more. There is also the 1980s Studio 15, but it’s very rare - and still quite heavy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited December 2018
    Astoria's are great if you can find one. Especially the dual or custom. Very thick and full sounding drive tones but still Marshally.

For current ones: if you want single channel and either like pedal drive or can crank the amp up then Origin, or DSL20H if you want to get all the gain from your amp. Or Mini Jubilee if you want to pay the made in UK premium, they do sound great. Honestly though I love the sounds from the DSL20H and had I not got a ridiculous deal on my Jubilee I wouldn't have bothered spending the extra. The gain is maybe a little fizzier/fuzzier sounding but it's the sort of thing that would probably vanish in a mix. The advantage the Jubilee has is the really powerful EQ, makes it so versatile.

Origin is more fat and warm, great with boost pedals and fuzzes, DSL more aggressive and much higher gain. 
  • Origin looks a good bet, DSLs are good too, clean channel gets quite crunchy, red channel is more modern higher gain.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Thanks chaps! Interesting tonal differences in the above vid.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited December 2018
    Bear in mind the DSL20C has the godawful Celestion 70-80 speaker in it. Much better through something proper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @TTBZ I will more than likely go for the Origin 20......

Found an acceptable price online and bought an Origin 20.......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    edited December 2018
    paulnb57 said:
    Found an acceptable price online and bought an Origin 20.......
    Head or combo chap? Genuinely interested in your take on it when you get a chance. I really liked it when it was nearly flat out but once volume was below half way it sounded pretty flat. Not a problem if you can crank it all the time obviously. I thought mine was broken to start with haha, zero gain at low volumes.
    @photek its a combo and Ill let you know....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    Origin 20 combo arrived while at work yesterday, so after shower/dogging/food unpacked and had a quick go.....
    First impressions compared to the Jet City JCA20HV into a 1x12
    Origin has a 10" speaker
    Its bright, very, but in a good way
    Theres surprisingly little gain, but not in a bad way...
    Its articulate/clear/defined
    Strat has more chime/clarity
    Tilt knob is interesting
    Green Russian Fuzz with very little drive sounds huge....
    Im a vey happy bunny
    I need to mess with it more!

This was on the lowest output 1/2 watt and its still surprisingly loud! Gain maxed, master low.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience valve amps* usually have surprisingly little gain - however that translates to an awesome tone when played loud and live and not a wall of mush.

*Yes there are always exceptions to this.