Replacement Tuning Pegs - Squier Strat

What's Hot
Evening all,
Hope you’re all well. 

Possibly not a simple question, however I wonder if anyone might have experience of and know which tuning pegs could be used to replace the following Squier Strat Affinity please?
https://m.imgur.com/Jyzyf19
https://m.imgur.com/s6iqPeb

Just purchased and I’m looking at sourcing replacement tuning pegs prior to arrival of the guitar if possible. 

Thanks in advance for any advice/info. 
Jack
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    Do you wish to source an exact replacement for the one broken tuner or a complete set of six by way of an upgrade?

The Schaller ST6 six-in-line type adopts the same twelve screw fastening pattern but they might cost almost as much as a pre-owned Squier Affinity guitar. Also, the push-in ferrules may be too small for the drilled holes through which the 'heads pass.

In your position, I would begin by removing the damaged tuner to measure the diameter of the hole drilled through the headstock before deciding on what replacements would fit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Do you wish to source an exact replacement for the one broken tuner or a complete set of six by way of an upgrade?

The Schaller ST6 six-in-line type adopts the same twelve screw fastening pattern but they might cost almost as much as a pre-owned Squier Affinity guitar. Also, the push-in ferrules may be too small for the drilled holes through which the 'heads pass.

In your position, I would begin by removing the damaged tuner to measure the diameter of the hole drilled through the headstock before deciding on what replacements would fit.
    Sounds like a smart plan to be fair. Thank you. 
    Definitely doesn’t have to be a like for like replacement. Happy to go for something aftermarket. 

Ill wait until I have my hands on the guitar in that case. 
    Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    The bore will be 8mm, they're the standard 'non threaded bushing' size.

The only ones that will fit directly will be the same type, which are really not great. The Schaller ST-6s actually won't fit - they have the opposite diagonal orientation of the screws! (Like the original 70s Fender ones.)

If you want to bore out the headstock for 10mm 'threaded bushing' types, I think Schaller M6 Minis will line up with six of the original twelve holes, from memory.

If that's not something you want to do, I'll have a look and see if I have any spares of the original type...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The bore will be 8mm, they're the standard 'non threaded bushing' size.

The only ones that will fit directly will be the same type, which are really not great. The Schaller ST-6s actually won't fit - they have the opposite diagonal orientation of the screws! (Like the original 70s Fender ones.)

If you want to bore out the headstock for 10mm 'threaded bushing' types, I think Schaller M6 Minis will line up with six of the original twelve holes, from memory.

If that's not something you want to do, I'll have a look and see if I have any spares of the original type...
    Ah darn it. I was hoping there would be something aftermarket I could source. 
    I don’t really want to have to bore out the hole to make it bigger as I don’t have the tools. 
    If you do have any spare you’d be willing to sell I’d definitely be interested! Thanks
    Jonesy9 said:

If you do have any spare you’d be willing to sell I’d definitely be interested! Thanks
    Yes, I've got what looks like an exact match. PM me your address :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you!!
  • Nice one @ICBM ;

Nice one @ICBM
    I have a large collection of bits and pieces like this from other repair work so I'm always happy to help if I can .

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Sorry to hijack, but will this also be true for my Squier Standard Tele? I won't be able to get any drop in replacements for the tuners? It's 04 or 05 Indonesian, if that makes a difference.
    DeeTee said:
    Sorry to hijack, but will this also be true for my Squier Standard Tele? I won't be able to get any drop in replacements for the tuners? It's 04 or 05 Indonesian, if that makes a difference.
    I’m fairly sure that will have the ‘screwless’ tuners, which are quite a unique design and not even interchangeable with other Fender screwless ones.

I definitely don’t have any of these - they’re actually pretty good tuners and I’ve never had to replace any. You can sometimes find them on Ebay, but you may have to buy a full set.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132893703097

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Ah, OK. Thanks. I'm fine with them at the moment. The guitar was picked up for cheap with the intention to upgrade a couple of bits. I posted a thread here a few months back about an issue with the ground signal with a view to fixing it, but that's all on hold. 

My friend is doing a course on working on guitars soon, and asked if he could use it for that, so it's perfect for him in slightly not working condition. Once he's learned how to fix that, he's asked if he can upgrade various bits, hence my wondering. Not being able to fix it up right now is driving me a bit mad though!
  • Thanks again ICBM, it fitted like a dream! You're a life saver.
    Only downside is that the tuner that you sent me is in much better condition that the original machine keys! haha.

I'm surprised by how nicely the guitar feels to play considering it cost me £25. It's only really the pickups that i can notice a difference between a similar MIM strat i've owned. The pickups on this Squier all sound the same. And when strumming, the individual notes meld into just noise. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    i have a pile of affinity and SE tuners available .11.50  a set inc UK post if any one wants them .i usually find its a sticky nut not the tuners