True bypass loopers

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I don’t use many effects but have always struggled with the loss of tone/signal strength when running through my pedal board compared to straight into the amp. 

I have a clone of the Cornish buffer at the start of the board and a gig rig z cable at the end but still notice a difference.

Current set up is:

6 foot cable - buffer - tc polytune mini - petty John Gold - Juan solo Coloursound overdriver clone - tc flashback (set to true bypass) - thorpy modded boss ge7 eq (solo boost) - z cable - amp

I use van damme cable for my guitar and patch cables.

I have been thinking about a true bypass looper and re doing the patch leads with evidence audio solderless. Can’t really stretch to a gigrig quarter master so thinking about the bright onion one.

Just wondering if in a set up this small it’s just a bit overkill and no matter how hard I try there will always be a difference between straight in and going through even a small board. Would just like to make that difference as small as possible!!

Any true bypass looper users have any insight or feedback to how much difference it has made?  

I do gig  a lot too so the ease of switching out a pedal if it develops a problem is also quite appealing!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm sure bright onion could make something up for you?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    If you’re buffering your pedals then the tone loss would be from the cable between guitar and pedal board, so a true bypass looper would not solve that problem.

If it’s the tone of your buffer that you don’t like, then taking it out would mean a lot more loss of top end due to the unbuffered signal chain from guitar all the way to the amp, again, a true bypass looper will not solve that issue, although it might make a small difference by taking the pedals out of the chain.

I think it’s always going to have to be a compromise between buffered tone / cable length / tone degradation, and there is no one ideal solution. It all depends on what you’re willing to put up with the most.
  • Interested in this thread. I had a buffer on my board but taken it out as I have a Boss pedal early in the chain so doubt I need a separate buffer (?) 
    I too can't stretch to the Gigrig so wondering what other loopers are worth looking at.
  • A few thoughts.

How much of a 'clone' is the Juan Solo Coloursound, ie is it true bypass or is it maybe 'half-arsed' bypass like a lot of vintage effects (I have no idea what the bypass on the original was)? Have you tried taking it (indeed each of your pedals) out of the circuit (one at a time)?

You mention your cables but not the actual plugs - plugs can have quite a high capacitance (which sucks treble) in themselves. And are the solder joints good?

Also, have you cleaned the plugs and the in/out sockets of the pedals. 'Gig residue' can build up on both (were any bought second-hand? - they may have been exposed to beer and grime in a previous life).

I'd certainly look at the cabling before investing in a looper switcher. You don't have that many pedals and have a buffer beginning and end (and one in the boss too) - there shouldn't be too much tone loss in such a setup.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • what do you mean you "struggle" with loss of tone/signal strength? Do you mean that the perceived signal loss is so drastic that it affects your playing or just that you're experiencing some form of signal loss. That isn't a great deal of pedals for you to be experiencing any real issues that should hinder your playing experience?

If you want a bypass looper then go for it, BO are a great solution at a great price but maybe just stop comparing it to direct into the amp and get on with playing....
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 529
    You say 6 foot cable from guitar to buffer do you mean 6 metres? 'cos 6 ft is really short. Might be worth trying a new lead. You could also try each pedal on it's own to identify if one pedal is the issue.
    Don't touch that dial.