Wiring help.. this looks a mess!

What's Hot
mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 204
edited December 2018 in Guitar
i had my les Paul looked over by a tech who replaced the pickup selector, I was holding an old MP3 player while I had the guitar in my hands, got an electric shock which seems to have shorted the switch, I’m looking at doing it myself this time ... can anyone tell me what I need to do? It looks really messy at the moment .. it’s a lp standard https://ibb.co/gyw53qh
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Is that even possible?

The switch is a crude metal lever, can it be shorted by an electric shock?
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited December 2018
    What. The. Fudge.
    Story makes no sense to me. Wiring is... In need of some help.
    Go to Seymour Duncan link following a search on 'les Paul 50s wiring'
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • klusonkluson Frets: 15
     just google Les Paul Wiring for both 50's and modern and take your pick
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    edited December 2018
    I assume the mp3 player was connected to a power supply at the time... the electric shock would have been from the power supply, which are often not earthed, to the guitar which is, via you.

The guitar wiring looks fine, it's standard for many modern Gibsons. If the switch has stopped working it's very unlikely to be anything to do with the shock and more likely because whoever changed it didn't do a very good job. We won't know that without a pic of the inside of the switch cavity.

There is one problem with the wiring in the pic - the shield from the cable to the switch looks like it's come off the back of the bridge tone pot. That won't stop it working but it will make it very noisy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 204
    @icbm thanks for that , yes the MP3 player was connected to a power supply... and I know it sounds weird but the selector did stop working after ... should there not be a wire connecting all the pots too? I’m new to wiring guitars but want to learn ...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    mrleon83 said:
     should there not be a wire connecting all the pots too? 
    No, the plate they're mounted on acts as the ground between them.
    p90fool said:
    mrleon83 said:
     should there not be a wire connecting all the pots too? 
    No, the plate they're mounted on acts as the ground between them.

Ah ok that’s cool, I just saw a lot of diagrams have a wire connecting, awesome! 
    mrleon83 said:
    @icbm thanks for that , yes the MP3 player was connected to a power supply... and I know it sounds weird but the selector did stop working after ...
    Coincidence can be an odd thing.

When you say stopped working, do you mean that now one or both pickups is not working when it alone is selected, or that both pickups are now on at all times?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    mrleon83 said:
    @icbm thanks for that , yes the MP3 player was connected to a power supply... and I know it sounds weird but the selector did stop working after ...
    Coincidence can be an odd thing.

When you say stopped working, do you mean that now one or both pickups is not working when it alone is selected, or that both pickups are now on at all times?
    Indeed, the neck pickup does still work but very low output , which was the problem before the switch was replaced ... it has always been noisy so at the very least I should able to fix that easily ...
    mrleon83 said:

Indeed, the neck pickup does still work but very low output , which was the problem before the switch was replaced ... it has always been noisy so at the very least I should able to fix that easily ...
    If the problem hasn't changed even though the switch was, logic suggests that the switch is not the problem - it will be either the pickup or the volume pot. If it worked for a while, something may have been disturbed.

To fix the shielding issue, solder the frayed ends of the bare wires coming from the grey cable to the patch of solder on the bridge tone pot. You'll need a powerful iron, and be careful not to melt the cable.

Thanks for all the advise guys, love this community ! 
  • klusonkluson Frets: 15

be careful when applying the iron to the pots, too much heat can kill pots. I would suggest buying a multimeter, They can be purchased quite cheaply, then you can check the integrity of the circuit.

Where are you? if you are not too far away, you could bring it round and I'll do it for you.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    As mentioned above the pickup switch will be fine - it's a fairly robust and simplistic device.

What i'm pondering is you got a shock when holding the guitar and the MP3 player at the same time, if the guitar earthed a current from the MP3 player through you then it *should* bypass the electronics in the guitar as the bridge or tailpiece is typically earthed (so any current should bomb down you to the strings, through the tailpiece and down to the amp to earth).

Have you tried playing your guitar in a completely different amp and guitar cable? If you use any guitar pedals then remove them from the chain and try that. Piece by piece try and narrow down where the fault lies.
    kluson said:

be careful when applying the iron to the pots, too much heat can kill pots. I would suggest buying a multimeter, They can be purchased quite cheaply, then you can check the integrity of the circuit.

Where are you? if you are not too far away, you could bring it round and I'll do it for you.
    I’m in south northants , it would be good to figure out what’s going on with this geetar....
    Foster said:

Have you tried playing your guitar in a completely different amp and guitar cable? If you use any guitar pedals then remove them from the chain and try that. Piece by piece try and narrow down where the fault lies.
    I haven’t tried through a different amp (yet) but all my other guitars are acting normal so I assume it is this guitar...