Best 1/4” jacks for speaker leads?

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 6940
I need to solder up a few speaker leads. I’ve used 2 core mains flex for this in the past, but am never sure which jack plugs have the best internal connection - some appear to be made from two parts with only surface contact between the internal solder tabs and the shaft. Any recommendations for what to use?
Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72747
    Neutrik NP2C.

They're the best because they have both contacts made from single machined pieces of metal with no internal joints or rivets, and they have the best cable grip. The newer slim NP2Xs are nearly as good but won't take quite as large a cable, if that matters.

I wouldn't use any other type or brand for speaker cables, including copies of them which are not made in the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    BIG +1 for Nukies, certainly for speaker cables which you do not want to open or short circuit.
    Do not BTW, go for massive cables, 6A twin "garden equipment" wire is more than good enough up to 200watt valve amps.
    If you are looking at seriously bigger solid state kit go Speakons.

Dave.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6940
    Cheers,
    They’re for a Marshall Silver Jubilee 25w into a Weber mini mass into. 2x12, and a Katana head 100w into a 1x12, so 6A flex it is then! Might even use orange flex so it’s obvious. Thanks guys!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1