Out of tune Gretsch

What's Hot
EggmanEggman Frets: 43
I love my Gretsch (G5420t) but the third string always goes out of tune really quickly. It seems to make no difference whether or not I am using the Bigsby (B60). If it helps, the bridge is adjusto-matic, and the tuners are the vintage-style open-back sort. Graphtech nubone nut is where I suspect the problem is.
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks, and happy new year.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    As you say, 90% of tuning issues on a Gretsch are the nut. Open up the offending slots a little and add some lube or pencil lead and you should be ok. 

If it makes you feel any better, the problem is systemic across the whole Gretsch line up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    dazzajl said:
    Open up the offending slots a little and add some lube or pencil lead and you should be ok. 
    Thank you, I'll try this.
    dazzajl said:
    Open up the offending slots a little and add some lube or pencil lead and you should be ok. 
    Thank you, I'll try this.
    Sorry, don't know why it posted twice.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    Because a Gretsch is just twice as good. ;)

I don’t want to tell you the obvious but just in case you’ve not been a bigsby person before, make sure the strings are coming round the roller bar completely straight. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I did not know that, thanks. I haven't changed the strings since new (not very long), and they look straight to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72709
    Plain third string?

Try a wound one. I know that sounds counterintuitive because you would think that the windings would snag in the nut even more, but I find the opposite. And it also has the advantage that Gretsches always sound better with a wound third.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8032
    It’s the nut, not the Bigsby. Open the slots where the strings meet the nut, particularly at acute angles. Pay as much attention to where the strings enter the nut as to where they leave. 

Remove sharpe edges. 

Enjoy

Marlin
  • My 5422 was just the same until I got a new bone nut. It will never be as stable as a solid body (because Gretsch) but can get through a few songs before needing tweeked. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8032
    My 5422 was just the same until I got a new bone nut. It will never be as stable as a solid body (because Gretsch) but can get through a few songs before needing tweeked. 
    All of mine are incredibly stable. Get a proper setup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2966
    tFB Trader
    Is it nubone now? My first gen one had a hollow plastic nut. It was stickier than an actual stick.. Replaced with bone with attention to the slots, flaring etc,  was good afterwards. When it came to the Bigsby a Compton bridge plus the nut made that fine too.