DIY 212 speaker cab build...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 553
    When I started reading this thread I got twitchy hands. Then I saw power tools and the quality of your work.
    I think I shall now give Zilla a call. 
    Great work.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    lukedlb said:
    Will the baffle remain inclined?
    No, the baffle will be fixed to the front once the grill cloth is fitted. I made it like this so I can take it out again easily in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    lukedlb said:
    No, the baffle will be fixed to the front once the grill cloth is fitted. I made it like this so I can take it out again easily in the future.
    Smart. 
    Any thoughts on inclined baffles? 
    lukedlb said:
    lukedlb said:
    Smart. 
    Any thoughts on inclined baffles? 
    Not really, they look nice but a little more difficult to make, this has caused enough brain ache as it is.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    My office is full of 2 x 12 cabinets, definitely my preferred option, Also the best ones are on the diagonal like you have made.

On most of mine I put additional bracing on the baffle from the front to the rear and it did make a noticeable difference at higher volumes, the sound just holds together much better . Might not be an issue with yours depending on how thick your baffle and rear panels are though.

Well done!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    My office is full of 2 x 12 cabinets, definitely my preferred option, Also the best ones are on the diagonal like you have made.

On most of mine I put additional bracing on the baffle from the front to the rear and it did make a noticeable difference at higher volumes, the sound just holds together much better . Might not be an issue with yours depending on how thick your baffle and rear panels are though.

Well done!

Thanks.
    There's scope to add more bracing if needed. I've used nice 18mm birch ply b/bb grade all round, so about the most substantial 18mm ply available, plus  it's only going to be used at home so I'd be surprised it cab resonance is an issue, will find out soon enough, can adjust if necessary.

Looking forward to finishing it now.
    edited May 2019
    Here's a few more pics

Used a fence and a stop on my pillar drill to ensure the holes were all in line, worked well enough.

Used T nuts (and Allen bolts) to secure all the back panels to the cab, more work but a better long term solution compared to regular wood screws.

Fitting the grill cloth isn't fun...
    Didn't manage to get it 100% straight, but it doesn't look too bad for a first attempt. 

This ended up being more involved and time consuming than I expected. Nevertheless happy with the result. I'm going to apply a finish to the plywood at some point but that can wait.

Cheers. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    A good clean result. What’s that on top? A perfect combination in any case. 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Nice work mate, you e motivated me to build a custom angled cab that I’ve been meaning to do for a while now :)
    lukedlb said:
    A good clean result. What’s that on top? A perfect combination in any case. 
    Thanks. 
    It is a Yamaha THR100HD.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413

This ended up being more involved and time consuming than I expected. Nevertheless happy with the result. I'm going to apply a finish to the plywood at some point but that can wait.
    That’s a very nice job - I like the clean natural look of not having vinyl on the cab... I assumed you were going to cover it. And a very neat size, since I know how (not) big the amp is!

lukedlb said:
    A good clean result. What’s that on top?
    Yamaha THR100HD.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2019
    ICBM said:

That’s a very nice job - I like the clean natural look of not having vinyl on the cab... I assumed you were going to cover it. And a very neat size, since I know how (not) big the amp is!
    Thanks, I could have reduced the height by another 10-15mm other than that I doubt a diagonal 212 could be much smalller.

The grain on the wood is too nice to cover, I'm going to order in some Osmo oil samples and try them on scrap, leaving them for a month or 3 to see how they settle over time before finishing it.