Britpop. Who was the most impressive guitarist in your eyes.

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    CHRISB50 said:
    Richey Manic

/thread
    Did he ever actually appear on a record?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Bonehead

The man got to play to a quarter of a million people at Knebworth just playing Barre Chords . Not even a riff, not a single one! 

In all seriousness I love a lot of Paul Weller's playing from the 90s. Really underrated guitarist for me. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Another vote for Nick McCabe, the first few Verve albums are superb as a result of his playing.

Graham Coxon though is a tough one to beat.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3074
    edited January 2019
    Aside from all the usuals I'll mention Adam Devlin from the Bluetones. 

It was a great era for guitarists for sure. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited January 2019
    KKJale said:
    ionian said:
    I remember the guitar mags of the era wouldn't give any of these guys the time of day - it is refreshing to read this 20+ years later and see those that deserve it getting some recognition. 

Oooh I dunno about that. I've got a cheat sheet for the contents of The Guitar Magazine (TGM) and they'd done Blur, TFC, Boo Radleys, James, Lush, Ride, Oasis, Dodgy, Gene, The Verve, Spiritualized, Sleeper, Elastica and Menswear etc etc etc before Britpop was two years old.   

I suspect you may have been reading Guitarist  
    I seem to remember reading that the opposite was true - Guitarist wanted to cover more of those bands but couldn't get them. That said, I know they did feature Richard Hawley and him off Kula Shaker.

To be fair, with only so many hours in the day for interviews, would you have chosen NME and Q magazine or Guitarist?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    Graham Coxon
    James Dean Bradfield
    The bloke from Shed Seven  :)
  • KKJale said:
    ionian said:
    I remember the guitar mags of the era wouldn't give any of these guys the time of day - it is refreshing to read this 20+ years later and see those that deserve it getting some recognition. 

Oooh I dunno about that. I've got a cheat sheet for the contents of The Guitar Magazine (TGM) and they'd done Blur, TFC, Boo Radleys, James, Lush, Ride, Oasis, Dodgy, Gene, The Verve, Spiritualized, Sleeper, Elastica and Menswear etc etc etc before Britpop was two years old.   

I suspect you may have been reading Guitarist  
    I seem to remember reading that the opposite was true - Guitarist wanted to cover more of those bands but couldn't get them. That said, I know they did feature Richard Hawley and him off Kula Shaker.

To be fair, with only so many hours in the day for interviews, would you have chosen NME and Q magazine or Guitarist?
    well Guitarist would have probably asked about their blues influences so tricky call
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2019

That's an interesting point because there did seem to be quite a deep cultural divide between the mags at the time. The Guitarist editor's seat passed from Neville Marten to Eddie Allen around '94 and I'm not sure there was much real appreciation of new music with that move.

TGM on the other hand suddenly got two much younger ex-Guitarist guys, Michael Leonard and Danny Eccleston (later deputy editor of Q I think), and they were all over it. I think TGM's much more knowing and clued-up style probably endeared them to the PR people who were looking after younger guitar bands in the post-grunge/early Britpop era. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    CHRISB50 said:
    Richey Manic

/thread
    Did he ever actually appear on a record?
    I don’t think he did no. 

I’m pretty sure that JDB was the only band member to feature on Generation Terrorists. 

Not so sure about Gold Against the Soul or Holy Bible. 

Live, he was there, but they turned his amp right down. I can remember a gig, during the break in Loves Sweet Exile where JDB sings alone, Richey carried on playing. You could just about hear a fizzy little tone over the top of the vocals. 

Great lyricist though. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited January 2019
    Jeff Beck.

Sorry, wrong thread.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Noel Gallagher - took 5 notes and sold tens of millions of albums off the back of them :) 

Most technically impressive? No.

But, graham coxon didn’t write champagne supernova ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11764
    Deep breath...

In no particular order...

Bernard Butler
    Richard Oakes
    Jonny Greenwood
    Ed O'Brien
    Graham Coxon
    Nick McCabe
    Noel Gallagher
    Adam Devlin
    James Dean Bradfield
    Tim Wheeler
    The guy from Shed Seven
    The guy from Dodgy
    Paul Weller
    Steve Craddock
    The chick from Elastica who wasn't Justine
    Justine from Elastica

Everyone always pisses on the "Britpop" era these days, but they can all fuck off.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Deep breath...

Bernard Butler
    Richard Oakes
    Jonny Greenwood
    Ed O'Brien
    Graham Coxon
    Nick McCabe
    Noel Gallagher
    Adam Devlin
    James Dean Bradfield
    Tim Wheeler
    The guy from Shed Seven
    The guy from Dodgy
    Paul Weller
    Steve Craddock
    Justine from Elastica

Everyone always pisses on the "Britpop" era these days, but they can all fuck off.

Agreed. Throw John Squire and kelly jones in there too though

And there’s no reason for anyone to look down on the 90s Britpop era. It gave a generation a voice and countless groups, hits and guitar heroes to look up to. 

I started playing because of Noel Gallagher first and foremost. But every single band literally struck a chord with me. Funnily enough, I still find most of Blurs stuff a grind to listen to. I do like a few of their big numbers but overall they didn’t make me want to play music the same as Oasis, Phonics, Ash, MSP, OCS, Weller etc..
  • Deep breath...

Bernard Butler
    Richard Oakes
    Jonny Greenwood
    Ed O'Brien
    Graham Coxon
    Nick McCabe
    Noel Gallagher
    Adam Devlin
    James Dean Bradfield
    Tim Wheeler
    The guy from Shed Seven
    The guy from Dodgy
    Paul Weller
    Steve Craddock
    Justine from Elastica

Glad you mentioned Richard Oakes, often overlooked.  He took Bernards sounds and added his own elements to it and whilst later albums have an unmistakably Suede sound they are also different to the Butler albums.

• Most definitely Graham Coxon for me. Him and Albarn have made some of my all time favourite songs in the modern era. He’s a complex but hilarious character and I recommend you find some of his interviews on YouTube - gold !

Secondly I’d say Jonny Greenwood or John Squire 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11764
    lonestar said:
    Deep breath...

Bernard Butler
    Richard Oakes
    Jonny Greenwood
    Ed O'Brien
    Graham Coxon
    Nick McCabe
    Noel Gallagher
    Adam Devlin
    James Dean Bradfield
    Tim Wheeler
    The guy from Shed Seven
    The guy from Dodgy
    Paul Weller
    Steve Craddock
    Justine from Elastica

Agreed. Throw John Squire and kelly jones in there too though

Agreed :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I wasn't into Britpop at all. I rather liked the resurgence of guitar music in the charts but none of it was my cup of tea.

In my old age I think that there's probably a lot of interesting stuff to go and discover. Certainly James Dean Bradfield played some amazing stuff at times (if he counts)
  • Richard Oakes
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10223
    edited January 2019
    gusman2x said:
    Loads of great players when you actually think about it. Graham Coxon is a good shout, as is Jonny Greenwood.

James Dean Bradfield is also a fantastic guitarist. Maybe not as innovative as the other two, but backs of energy, great melody and solos. Plus a great live player.
    CHRISB50 said:
    Richey Manic 

/thread

Manics and Radiohead predated Britpop so I feel that they don’t really count, especially Radiohead. But I do accept that the Manics had a britpoppy period, but Richey was already dead/missing when A Design For Life came out. 

You couldn't say Generation Terrorists or Holy Bible was britpop!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    The bloke from Menswear.

But srsly - Bernard Butler, Steve Mason and Nick McCabe.