Spring Tank Pedals / Head Units

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    edited July 2016
    Well, my first pedal purchase FOR AGES (Carl Martin Headroom) ended up 'dead on arrival'. Going back to Amazon.

i might try a Spaceman Orion or the Topanga...

Anyone tried em ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited July 2016
    @nickb_boy had a Topanga. If the Talisman is anything to go by I imagine it is excellent. There are pics of the Orions insides around.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited July 2016
    Yeah @Lew I did indeed own one!

@Wazmeister Well the Topanga was hands down the best spring emulating pedal I've tried.  The Van Amps just started to go a bit mushy when hit with gain where as the Topanga held together nicely.  The bonus of the neat Easter egg mode as well added some fun. The only reason I sold it on was because the Satellite tank came along.  In all honesty I could have settled with the Topanga but it just doesn't look as cool ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nick, that verb head is SUPER cool ! 

I might just order the Topanga... I did fancy the Carl Martin but it was DOA
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3223
    edited July 2016
    I was so confused as to what to get reverb wise after purchasing an 18 watt tmb, I listened to countless demo's of pedals and was intrigued by the Carl Martin. The problem I kept encountering (from what I recall) was that I couldn't help but feel that most pedals at some point started to sound synthetic and digital, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid. I picked up a tube town Spring reverb unit kit, it isn't quite the same as the fender reverb tank -I believe it is closer to the circuitry in most modern fender amps. However, it sounds great, it's valves and the guitar going through a spring, a wonderful sounding combination. I wouldn't gig or record without it now and having only spent £200 on the whole thing once tolex and handles were purchased, I'd build another one tomorrow if it got pinched or damaged. Beats a pedal for the same sort of price any day of the week imo and always gets interested oohs and ahhhs from other guitarists at gigs.
    I tried the Topanga and really liked it, BUT I Simply love my Talisman. Its been the one verb thats seen off all the others... Including the big guns like the Space and Big Sky...

the Van Amps, by the way, are stunning...
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    @Teyeplayer do you have a link for the kit you purchased please?
    edited July 2016
    No problem @wayneirie; bit of a nightmare to find on their website but hopefully this will work:

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Kits/Verstaerker/TT-Kit-Tube-Reverb::6223.html

The basic kit is €125 then you need to buy the cab, spring tank, knobs etc, but it works out pretty competitive even after all that.

You will also need an amp tech to wire up the transformer if you are unsure about it. I got lucky and work with a fella who used to service radios and TVs in the 60s and 70s so he helped me out. 
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    @Teyeplayer cheers i'll pick one up still less than some pedals!

Too right, you can't beat it. Don't be put off by the demos on YouTube, they don't do it justice; for a bit of patience and time with a soldering iron you'll be glad you got it.