Could oiling a rosewood fretboard cause a raised fret?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
I changed the strings on my PRS SE Custom 24 today. While the strings were off I cleaned the gunk with a cloth and some lighter fluid, and then applied some F-One oil to the fingerboard.

Then, when setting the action of the strings, I noticed there was bad fret buzz on the D string on the 10th fret. Further inspection showed it to be slightly proud. So I gave it whack with a heavy brass object and that seems to have fixed it.

So, the question is - what could have caused this sudden fret raise? Either I didn't notice it before, or perhaps cleaning the fretboard with the F-One oil might have loosened it? Or maybe PRS apply superglue under the fret and the oil interfered with that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    Some say so some over a long time & some say BS.

how long have you been oiling it? Has it had a very recent refret?

i use a tinyyyt bit of fret Doctor as my place is dry and I play a lot, never issues..
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4134
    I oil my rosewood fretboards every string change for years and never had this issue.  Never had a prs though. 
  • The lighter fluid is more likely to interfere with any glued parts.  Not saying this is the cause, I don't know.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    It's also possible that if you took all the strings off with the truss rod still tightened - which is the normal way to do it, and I do too - the resulting backbow could allow a fret to pop up slightly if it wasn't seated very tightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    ICBM said:
    It's also possible that if you took all the strings off with the truss rod still tightened - which is the normal way to do it, and I do too - the resulting backbow could allow a fret to pop up slightly if it wasn't seated very tightly.
    Sounds more likely.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    ... pop up slightly if it wasn't seated very tightly.
    Philtre said:
    ....Sounds more likely.
    I'm stealing this for a song......

IGMC..

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14363
    tFB Trader
    Don't dismiss the option of a kink on the string
    I actually ditched the set of strings and put another set on. It definitely is the fret.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And I've found two more problematic frets. I've whacked them with a hard plastic hammer and that's sorted it. Something must have loosened them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14363
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    And I've found two more problematic frets. I've whacked them with a hard plastic hammer and that's sorted it. Something must have loosened them.
    love these technical terms - WHACKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Philtre said:
    love these technical terms - WHACKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OK, it was a precision whack. ;-)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    I’ve been using lemon oil for years, and recently F-One oil, on all my rosewood necked guitars and I’ve never noticed anything like this happening suddenly. Maybe those frets were always proud but you didn’t notice before? Sounds unlikely with a PRS though. How old is the PRS? I guess an older guitar is more prone to things like this happening.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I’ve been using lemon oil for years, and recently F-One oil, on all my rosewood necked guitars and I’ve never noticed anything like this happening suddenly. Maybe those frets were always proud but you didn’t notice before? Sounds unlikely with a PRS though. How old is the PRS? I guess an older guitar is more prone to things like this happening.
    Could be. It's only two years old. It could be caused by loosening the strings without loosening the truss, as @ICBM said in a comment above.

For example, last night I loosened the strings to give a fret a whack, tightened the strings again, checked the fret (which was OK now) and bugger me if I didn't find another raised fret buzzing at one particular point on one string. Another whack and that was fixed. Whak-a-mole!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    This is definitely not normal, and makes me wonder if either your house is unusually dry or the fingerboard wood wasn’t seasoned properly and has shrunk a bit - it’s not at all common for the frets to be that loose that even a slight back-bow is making more than one pop up, it’s rare for it to be even one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3581
    I never oil my boards anymore, apart from changing the colour I dont really see the point. It doesnt ''feed'' the wood, oil doesnt ''soak in'' to the wood, its a finish and not a very good one, as for cleaning, warm soapy water does the job on a dampened cloth.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    I never oil my boards anymore, apart from changing the colour I dont really see the point. It doesnt ''feed'' the wood, oil doesnt ''soak in'' to the wood, its a finish and not a very good one, as for cleaning, warm soapy water does the job on a dampened cloth.
    That's the conclusion I've come to now. The strings on the PRS I "oiled" yesterday are now oily, and it seems the oil has not soaked in but is just getting on my hands.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12421
    I use d’addario lemon oil on mine , it seems to do a good job, doesn’t make the strings oily. Weird about the frets though
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    robgilmo said:
    I probably oil my rosewood boards about once every 3 to 5 years on average.  Don't need any more than that.

If you go a very long time without oiling you do notice.  I've got an acoustic I've had since I was 13.  When I was young I didn't know anything about oiling boards so it probably went 12 years or more without being oiled.  That did get really dry, and it made a big difference when I oiled it.
  • I don’t use lighter fluid to clean gunk off I find using duraglit those wads of polish far more effective so as you polish the frets then the bits in between job done. Once I’ve done that a little bit of whatever fret gunk is the latest thing to use but linseed and lemon oil the best and back to business.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk