Amp Covers ? Any UK Makers ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Thanks for all the advice chaps...

But I've just had one of those "WHAT A RESULT !" moments; 

Ive been up the loft, and I've found a Custom Studio Slips (still the best covers imho) which fits exactly !!!
    It was made for my old Carr Skylark

Red? Do they still make them in red @Wazmeister. I would've loved to have had that choice if they had a front pocket as mentioned earlier 
    No mate.

Susan at Studi Slips told me they only had access to the red for a brief period. Absolutely made up that I found it... fits like a glove too !!
    Shame. I would've pounced on that if they did. I love red ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The padded ones from Roq Solid fold down easier than Hot Covers. So for a combo of cab cover I prefer Roq Solid as it’s easier to stash away with the cases etc during a gig, and the protection they offer is pretty much the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    I have to handle a lot of amps with covers for my repair job...

I would say the thick padded nylon ones are better than the leatherette ones, whichever brand it is. They’re harder wearing, easier to fold down and don’t offer any less real protection. The leatherette ones tend to snag on things and tear, and still won’t prevent something like a knob being broken if something pushes hard into them.

And I don’t like the folded-under flap or even just a nylon strap under the bottom ones - they’re a faff to get on and off, since you have to lift the whole thing up. A flap gets dirty and tatty very quickly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    I find the roqsolid ones pretty bad VFM. Maybe it's because they're made to order (no scale savings) but it seems like a couple quid in materials and a few passes on a sewing machine. any upgrades add up and get closer to the cost of a wheeled hard case. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    bbill335 said:
    I find the roqsolid ones pretty bad VFM. Maybe it's because they're made to order (no scale savings) but it seems like a couple quid in materials and a few passes on a sewing machine. any upgrades add up and get closer to the cost of a wheeled hard case. 
    It depends what you want it for. A road case is great at protecting the amp, but if you have to carry it yourself it really makes it heavy and awkward - you may well find a cover a better option, and it doesn't have to be cheaper than a road case to be the right solution for the job.

I wouldn't choose a hard case for putting a small to medium-sized amp into a car and carrying it with one hand into wherever I'm going, just as I wouldn't choose a hard case for carrying a guitar on public transport - and a decent gig bag is actually more expensive than a hard case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    I always go for the Roqsolid 5mm foam padded ones, I think they’re very good indeed and they often have some discount offer going on. Similarly priced to Hot Covers in my experience but I just prefer the Roqsolid covers personally.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Just picked up a 4x12 with a Silvertone cover, really thick and yet supple if had some white to it you could mistake it for a cow......
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Just picked up a 4x12 with a Silvertone cover, really thick and yet supple if had some white to it you could mistake it for a cow......
    Great covers but what a nightmare of a company they turned into - a shame they were a distaster as a business as the product was very good.