Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking Ticket

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• But you do have an option - you can appeal the ticket if you think that you are in the right. That is the advice that others have given.

You are advising to not appeal and to simply ignore the ticket in the hope that the issuer will give up their attempt for recourse. I think that's quite different. 
    It would be if the appeals process was intended to give you at least a 50% of winning but that’s certainly not been the case in my experience. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I wandered back to my bike which I'd parked in a council carpark once, to find a traffic warden writing me out a ticket for not displaying a tax disc. 

The law said it should be displayed on the left side as you sit on the bike, forward of the centre line, but she was stood on the other side and told me I didn't have one. 

When I pointed it out to her (and the law) she just went off in a sulk. 

If I'd spent another five minutes eating my chips before ambling back to my bike I would've had a ticket, and no chance of fighting it. Cunts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    boogieman said:
    prowla said:
    There was a court of appeal decision a couple of years ago that upholds these, you used to be able to ignore them and they would go away. So, ignoring it is generally seen as bad advice now. 
    The problem is that the appeals process doesn't freeze the date on the original ticket, there is a proposed change in the law but it hasn't gone through yet. Stupid loophole that works for the parking companies.
    I'd re-read what the notice is for ( for example failure to display a ticket is different than failure to buy a ticket) and appeal if you think you are in the right rather than in the moral right. I appealed one not that long ago and it was sorted quickly ( ideally I'd have had some kind of apology from the parking company for wasting my time). I did try appealing one MrsTheWeary got on Asda car park by asking Asda to intervene, they did respond but they wouldn't help. 

Foster said:
    I had one for daring to buy a ticket that covered all day in a rather empty car park. I appealed by sending a copy of the ticket and they claimed it wasn't displayed (non sticky variety that easily falls off into the footwell). 

They then sent letters demanding a tenner so I thought fuck it, can't be arsed with this and sent them a cheque. I've not parked there since and it used to be the car park I would always use.
    I had an instance of the "fluttering ticket" the last time I went to Brighton (about 4 years ago) and the council acknowledged that I had paid and even had a picture of the ticket where it had fallen in the car, but they still insisted I had to pay the fine.

They eventually withdrew it when I pointed out that they had failed to follow their documented procedure in their response to me.

I've not been to Brighton since - there are other places I'll happily go to instead.

I now carry a clothes peg in the car, which I use to add weight to the ticket so it stays on the dashboard (carefully not obscuring any information on it, of course!).
    I think the ticket not displayed fine would piss me off beyond belief. You have the ticket as proof that you’ve paid, but they still want to fine you for it dropping out of sight. It’s not like you’re trying to deliberately deceive them and they’ve already had your money. 
    Yep - especially as they acknowledged in writing that I had bought a valid ticket.

Frickin' Green Party local political Stazi.

• But you do have an option - you can appeal the ticket if you think that you are in the right. That is the advice that others have given.

You are advising to not appeal and to simply ignore the ticket in the hope that the issuer will give up their attempt for recourse. I think that's quite different. 
    It would be if the appeals process was intended to give you at least a 50% of winning but that’s certainly not been the case in my experience. 
    probably because you didnt do it properly
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925

But you do have an option - you can appeal the ticket if you think that you are in the right. That is the advice that others have given.

probably because you didnt do it properly
    Follow the procedure on MSE, do not identify yourself as the driver, request a POPLA code, follow the procedure.

A number of things are time-limited, so don't put it off.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24319
    Pay the fine then hire a petrol disc cutter, slice open the pay & display machine and take enough to cover the tool hire and the fine.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

a recent case judgment changed the law in favour of the private parking companies. Don't ignore it. Your best chance of avoiding it is if the terms and conditions weren't signed clearly. IF they are reasonably visible, or signs that its a privte parking area are reasonably visible, then you will have to pay up.

As has been said, don't ignore it.

Check out the full circumstances. If its reasonably obvious that you were in an area where you needed to pay a fee, then you will have to pay the fine, end of.

Been there mate.