Were Dokken or Ratt ever big in the UK ?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Dave_Mc said:
    I remember not that long ago (talking the mid 90s) that the beatles and the stones and bands like that were considered to be old fashioned and, er, "culturally irrelevant".
    By who?

State your sources, please.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited April 2014
    Everyone I hung around with. EDIT: who wasn't heavily into rock music.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    And this social circle was?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited April 2014
    The Beatles irrelevant ????
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited April 2014
    ^ I never said they were irrelevant, I said "considered to be". Which is not necessarily the same thing. I'm not the biggest beatles fan in the world but I appreciate what they did and how the opened the door for everyone else. And I like other older classic rock and the like too like led zep, the stones, the who etc., I don't just like hair metal.

to the people who said 80s rock and metal were irrelevant, what about lady gaga? she's said she's pretty much an 80s rock fan and is influenced by it a lot, and she's arguably the biggest current pop star (or one of the biggest) around.
    Lixarto said:
    And this social circle was?
    School. i.e. teenagers (it wasn't really my social circle at all, if anything the people i hung around with were into rock; i'd argue that makes it a more representative sample, though admittedly it's still anecdotal at best). I remember putting on stairway to heaven (our sixth form centre had a cd player) and being asked "does this thing speed up ever?" :))

they liked whole lotta love because they knew it from totp :))

the school choir did a beatles medley at one point and the general feeling among most seemed to be "wow this is pretty good, i thought it'd be lame because it's old".

i was aware of the beatles and the stones etc. because my parents grew up on it and played it to me when it was on totp2 and the like.

and obviously that's just anecdotal evidence, maybe round where i live is just full of philistines, I dunno. But most of what's been posted in here has been anecdotal.
  • I just watched a White Lion video, almost all the way through. I am holding whoever started this thread 100% responsible.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I quite like a fair bit of hair or glam metal. Bands like WASP (seem them twice, fantastic both times, I also think they transcended the hair/glam tag too), Dokken, Steelheart amongst others. Even Motley Crue had their moments, love the solo to Kickstart My Heart.

I agree with the notion that the style of music is "very much of it's time", but I don't think it's irrelevant.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    I just watched a White Lion video, almost all the way through. I am holding whoever started this thread 100% responsible.

Yep, that was me sorry...if you ignore the cheese the songwriting is great, :D

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    I just watched a White Lion video, almost all the way through. I am holding whoever started this thread 100% responsible.
    I went to see Motley Crue at Wembley Arena in 1989 with Skid Row and White Lion supporting. My mate Simon fell asleep during White Lion's set and to be honest I struggled to stay awake myself.