Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

13»

Comments

• Skipped said:
    I think it would be fair to say that there are members of this forum who do not accept the concept of an old guitar that has Mojo.

And yet......in the guitar section, we have a current thread in which an excellent, thoughtful, and level headed young musician called Barrie Cadogan is talking about the desirability of vintage guitars. As well as playing his 1962 Gibson 330, there is another clip made at the same time in which he says this about the 1959 Gibson Les Paul he is holding:
    "All that old music is here in this instrument"

What would be an appropriate single word to describe what Barrie has noticed?    =)

Who is right?
    Is it Barrie or is it the Forum deniers?

Firstly, that's metaphorical and emotional  

Secondly, it's a false equivalency. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Skipped said:
    I think it would be fair to say that there are members of this forum who do not accept the concept of an old guitar that has Mojo.

And yet......in the guitar section, we have a current thread in which an excellent, thoughtful, and level headed young musician called Barrie Cadogan is talking about the desirability of vintage guitars. As well as playing his 1962 Gibson 330, there is another clip made at the same time in which he says this about the 1959 Gibson Les Paul he is holding:

What would be an appropriate single word to describe what Barrie has noticed?    =)

Who is right?
    I don't know if you're deliberately drawing a false equivalence or not, but the fact is...there's a difference between the way an old instrument feels and sounds and straight-up junk pseudoscience aimed at parting people and their money for zero gain.
    <space for hire>
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I don't know if you're deliberately drawing a false equivalence or not, but the fact is...there's a difference between the way an old instrument feels and sounds and straight-up junk pseudoscience aimed at parting people and their money for zero gain.

The thread is about the concept of Mojo. The OP has just confirmed that.

It is a good thing (IMO) that we have a thread about "Mojo" or "snake oil" which is in a forum section other then the guitar section.
    I feel sure that Barrie would agree that he can offer no proof to back up his statement, that the music that has been played on a great instrument gives us an instrument that will differ, 60 years later, from other similar instruments, or from the same instrument used exclusively by a different musician.
    I believe that this is what was meant.

I agree with Barrie.
    I don't think Barrie has said anything  controversial.

edited July 2020
    edited July 2020

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2019
    so, there is this Cam girl with massive tits but doesn't get them out in public; her USP is to find Organic Chemistry questions online and then engage her hopeful room visitors with them in the hope that if they guess correctly she will be impressed by them... and they tip her for this...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    If I spent  £3750 on that I'd be mental.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24312
    Oh now they're just having a laugh !!!  https://www.thecableco.com/telos-audio-design-quantum-sticker.html
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3454
    Why dont they just sell their snake oil in bottles and have done with it?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Skipped said:

Who is right?

It's easy to get a little fanciful and emotional over a lovely old musical instrument, that's a very different thing.

I have worked in the hi-fi industry and it is utterly cynical, with genuinely unpleasant people competing with each other to rip off punters.

One of my jobs (for a company I can't name) was to pot enclosures full of gravel which their staggeringly expensive "interconnects" were plugged into, the sales pitch being that the sound molecules (!) realigned themselves in a musically pleasing way when forced to wiggle their way through the magical mystery matrix of secret, er, stuff. 

Unfortunately the company are particularly litigious and I'm NDA-ed up to my arse, but if they ever go bust I have photos of all the crap I had to make for them. 

These people are not charmingly naive, they are total bastards.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:

It's easy to get a little fanciful and emotional over a lovely old musical instrument, that's a very different thing.

I have worked in the hi-fi industry and it is utterly cynical, with genuinely unpleasant people competing with each other to rip off punters.

One of my jobs (for a company I can't name) was to pot enclosures full of gravel which their staggeringly expensive "interconnects" were plugged into, the sales pitch being that the sound molecules (!) realigned themselves in a musically pleasing way when forced to wiggle their way through the magical mystery matrix of secret, er, stuff. 

Unfortunately the company are particularly litigious and I'm NDA-ed up to my arse, but if they ever go bust I have photos of all the crap I had to make for them. 

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I genuinely can't.
    <space for hire>
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    p90fool said:

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I genuinely can't.
    Seconded.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Skipped said:

Can we leave women's hosiery out of this thread please ? ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback