F#minor

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TedTed Frets: 126
    Many thanks for all the advice. Can anyone recommend a good teacher in the London area I can have a few lessons  with?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    bigjon said:
    A lot of the time this easy-to-play F#m7add11/C# sounds just as good in context - x44200

Or you can wrap your thumb over the neck and play 244200, a full-sounding F#m7add11 chord
    As heard in Had Enough by Mr Big, or Mandela Day by Simple Minds, which I discussed in my chord--of-the-week thread on open-position F#m chords at
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/15928/chord-of-the-week-10-5-14-f-m
    Also, used in Who Knows Where the Time Goes for the E : F#m11 : E : F#m11 intro and first few lines. Beautifully rich and complex sounding chord.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Another case for full barre chords is that you have the ability to mute strings when you want to emphasize a progression with powerchords.  Plus, you can easily mute all the strings to add percussion(try playing Nirvanas "Smells Like Teen Spirit" with just 3 string chords).  Sometimes people spend more energy and time trying to get around difficulties than the time and energy it takes to do it the right way.
    Then look at the best guitarists in the world, rock, bblues, finger style whatever and see how many of them are playing 6 string chords,  very few and not very often.

of course it is good to learn how to play them,  and then choose how to play efficiently and for what the music needs.   

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    sev112 said:

Then look at the best guitarists in the world, rock, bblues, finger style whatever and see how many of them are playing 6 string chords,  very few and not very often.
    Yes, but if you paid for six strings then you want to get your money's worth by playing all of them, right? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Philtre said:
    sev112 said:

Yes, but if you paid for six strings then you want to get your money's worth by playing all of them, right? ;)
    Now that’s a good reason ;) 

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    sev112 said:
    Or just don’t use chords that involve more than 4 strings
    there is no rule that says you have to play all 6 strings
    I agree. Unless what you're playing absolutely depends on having the F# as the root, then just play a second inversion instead. It'll still sound like F# minor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    I find the thumb over works best if you are playing open chords, as it's a more natural movement. If you are playing barre chords, then barre the F#m. Alternatively you can use  inversions.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.