Lovely Looking 58 SC Junior

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    That's a short-scale 3/4 model - note that it only has 19 frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited January 2019
    Of course - good shout.

I had a quick flick through the photos but missed that and it’s not mentioned anywhere in the listing.

I wondered why it was a low starting price!
  • Brize said:
    That's a short-scale 3/4 model - note that it only has 19 frets.
    So it has. I wouldn’t have noticed that.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    I don't think I would have noticed it either, but for the lack of dot markers beyond the 15th fret.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited January 2019
    Can anyone explain why the pickup position on the SC 3/4 Junior is in the normal place for a full sized Junior, but on the DC 3/4 the pickup is moved much nearer to the bottom strap pin?

https://reverb.com/au/p/gibson-les-paul-junior-3-4-double-cutaway-cherry-1960
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3404
    edited January 2019
    Isn't it just because the neck joins on the 15th fret on the 3/4 version?

It's a bit like the difference between a 335 and a 330 (check the position of the pickups and bridge vs the f holes)

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2302
    Seems well overprice.Vintage & Rare in Bath had a short scale like that about 18 months ago at £1,995. I came close to buying it.
  • Just sold for £4166.
    Somone prob thinks they've got a bargain. 
    Oops.

I messaged him a while back before realising it was a 3/4 scale. He new what is was, obv just didn't mention it in the listing. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31658
    Ouch, someone is going to be very pissed off when that turns up.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2302
    p90fool said:
    It's collection only, but they may not realise their mistake until they get it home and start trying to play stuff up the dusty end. One of the things that stopped me buying the V&R one was the fact that it didn't have enough frets to reproduce the Alright Now solo! (The other was the narrow neck, a poor match for my sausage fingers.)
  • Keefy said:
    p90fool said:
    It's collection only, but they may not realise their mistake until they get it home and start trying to play stuff up the dusty end. One of the things that stopped me buying the V&R one was the fact that it didn't have enough frets to reproduce the Alright Now solo! (The other was the narrow neck, a poor match for my sausage fingers.)

Hahaha... that's always my test to decide if I can gig a guitar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    p90fool said:

I’d hope that anyone spunking over £4k on a guitar would do some research first...but that sale price suggests it’s new owner thinks it’s a 4/4. 

I know I missed it but I had a quick glance at the auction on an iPhone it with no intention to buy.

I wonder if it will be relisted eventually.
    edited January 2019
    Just sold for £4166.
    Somone prob thinks they've got a bargain. 
    Oops.

I messaged him a while back before realising it was a 3/4 scale. He new what is was, obv just didn't mention it in the listing. 
    Oops indeed, probably double what it’s worth. Poor guy. Unless he knew what he was buying, in which case a fool and his money...

Edit: is it almost fraudulently deceptive not to have mentioned it in the pic, and to have used pics that make it less obvious it’s a 3/4? Or is it simply a case of caveat emptor?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Difficult he hasn’t stated it’s 3/4 in the ad but equally he hasn’t stated that it isn’t.

Also if he’s not a guitar nerd like most on here and hasn’t bothered to do any research he could be of the belief that the Junior name implies a slightly smaller scale guitar and actually be none the wiser himself. Unlikely though.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3404
    I'm amazed that people would spend £4k on a used guitar from a private seller that they haven't seen in the flesh.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    ebay will have the buyer's back. That is properly shady though
  • Come on people, let's face it, anything more than perhaps £250 for that is madness. Just imagine the superb-playing and sounding modern guitars (deliberate plural) that one could buy for four grand!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Come on people, let's face it, anything more than perhaps £250 for that is madness. Just imagine the superb-playing and sounding modern guitars (deliberate plural) that one could buy for four grand!
    I’m guessing you’re not a student of the vintage guitar market and prices...? 
    The realistic going rate for a decent 3/4 size Junior is around £2k. They’re a cheap way into vintage guitars and have the same electrics as the full size models but in my experience they’re horrible to play, with the short scale neck and sloppy string tension, and they have limited upper fret access. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Come on people, let's face it, anything more than perhaps £250 for that is madness. Just imagine the superb-playing and sounding modern guitars (deliberate plural) that one could buy for four grand!
    I’m guessing you’re not a student of the vintage guitar market and prices...? The realistic going rate for a decent 3/4 size Junior is around £2k. They’re a cheap way into vintage guitars and have the same electrics as the full size models but in my experience they’re horrible to play, with the short scale neck and sloppy string tension, and they have limited upper fret access
    Exactly! Rationally, that thing is little more than mojo-scented firewood. However, I do realise that the world of vintage is guitars is far from rational.
  • Played a double cut version of one of these a while back, Sounded great but was so difficult to play and i looked like a giant playing a ukulele.