New Pickup, but can anyone tell me if this looks right?

What's Hot
This is a new Bareknuckle Bootcamp P90, it’s got the usual braided wire, but what’s this very short black wire? Is it normal? Could it be there as something to tap off if wanting to use it as earth instead of the braid?

Cheers

https://i.imgur.com/00jAaJu.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72459
    Not normal. Does the other end go into the coil? If so it looks like it's come off the ground, probably that solder on the baseplate, and will need re-soldering. If the other end is already connected to the solder (it's hard to be sure in the pic) that's much worse, and the loose end should be in the coil - back to Bareknuckle I think...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Thanks, back to the shop then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14483
    edited January 2019
    Judging by the photograph, the start and finish ends of the coil are colour coded black and white, respectively. 

If the output cable of the pickup is single con + braid, the chances are that the exposed wire in black insulation should be permanently grounded to the baseplate.

If the other end of the black insulated wire is already soldered to the baseplate, the end that you can see is meant to be soldered to the "start" end of the coil.

ICBM said:
    back to Bareknuckle I think...
    Agreed. Firstly, the fault is a warranty repair. Secondly, BKP ought to be made aware of this QA issue.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom