Grateful for any advice - weird finger locking up thing happening after gigs...

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
edited January 2019 in Technique
Don't want to overstate this - but just recently, I've had this thing when while packing up the gear immediately after some gigs, where I go to pick something up (or whatever) with my left (fretting) hand, and one or two of the fingers kind of lock up. Most recently today after a lunchtime jazz gig - I just went to pick up some music, and the ring finger, instead of curling naturally to grip, bent at the first knuckle, but then the rest of the finger locked straight. A bit hard to describe, it's not painful, but it does feel a bit weird, like my hand isn't quite able to do what the brain is telling it to. It only ever lasts for a second or two, and then the hand is fine. The hand is also fine at other times, and actually during the playing bit of a gig - it's just been immediately after 3 or 4 recent gigs this has happened.

So, is this something I should worry about? Anyone had a similar thing? Start of something worse? Am I doing something wrong technique-wise? - I've been playing guitar now for some 38 years, with no previous issues. I'm not saying I'm the world's greatest, but I would like to think I play at a reasonably high standard, semi-pro level (mainly jazz, some funk and pop also) with a good technique. Probably I have played more, and certainly done more gigs in the last 10 years, if that has any bearing. Appreciate any advice, cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    is it like cramp?
    you can get that from exerting too much pressure when fretting notes / chords etc..
    just a guess
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    It does sound a bit like cramp aside from the lack of pain. I've only had cramp in my hand once, and that was at a gig - my whole hand seized up during a song and I couldn't play a note for a couple of minutes. It really bloody hurt. I always make sure I've drunk plenty of water before gigs now and it hasn't happened again so could be worth a try...but if it keeps happening I'd go to the doctor, you don't want to make it worse if it's not simply cramp  :/
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Clarky said:
    is it like cramp?
    you can get that from exerting too much pressure when fretting notes / chords etc..
    just a guess
    It does sound a bit like cramp aside from the lack of pain. I've only had cramp in my hand once, and that was at a gig - my whole hand seized up during a song and I couldn't play a note for a couple of minutes. It really bloody hurt. I always make sure I've drunk plenty of water before gigs now and it hasn't happened again so could be worth a try...but if it keeps happening I'd go to the doctor, you don't want to make it worse if it's not simply cramp  :/
    Thanks guys - yes, I guess it could be some form of cramp, much as I would hope I have a good technique without applying to much fretting pressure, maybe all the same. The thought re hydration is a good one. Possibly some influence from medication I have to take also, is another thought. I'll pay a bit more attention to all these things in the future, and see how that goes, and if the post-playing finger locks re-occur.
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I think it is called 'trigger finger'.  A guitarist who had played a lot for many years told me that it had affected him, and that is what he called it.  From what I recall, he said it was something that may just go away as suddenly as it arrived.  But it would be sensible to discuss with a doctor I'd think?  Good luck!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    edited January 2019
    +1 on trigger finger.

I've had it for ages and have had steroid injections and surgery. Go and see your doctor as richh suggests. So far it's affected five out of my ten. 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Yeah, I had it once a month or so back. As you say, no pain but felt very weird. I was playing a lot at the time and think I was also a bit run down and dehydrated - not sure if those things were causal though. It has never happened again since (touch wood!).
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    The tendons in the fingers get too wide for the cartilage tube that they run through, so they bunch up a little behind it and then kind of pop through. It can be uncomfortable and tricky if you need your hands for your work! 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I think it's trigger finger as well. I had it mildly on my left little finger. Luckily it cleared up after a while. I think the standard advice is to let the finger rest as much as you can, especially when it flares up.

As already mentioned, it's caused by an inflammation of the part of the tendon that runs through a groove in your knuckle. If you put your finger over the affected knuckle, sometimes you can even feel a little nodule on your tendon moving as you bend the finger.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Thank you all - trigger finger would indeed seem to be a very likely possibility. As suggested, I will have a chat with my GP, and rest the hand as much as possible. At this point, I'd say it's a mild inconvenience at most, but it's not something I'd like to see get any worse.
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    I've had that quiet a bit and I put it down entirely to poor technique and over-exuberance on stage resulting in fretting too hard.  Warming up and stretching properly beforehand helped me a lot.