Chinese Fender Copy.... by Fender.....

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I was browsing in an indoor market yesterday when I chanced upon a small stall selling guitars and other associated products.

On sale was a Perspex bodied Strat for the sum of £325, what was interesting though was the label, it read "Chinese copy of a Fender. This guitar was built so sales reps could show the internals of the guitar to customer. This guitar was not made by Fender" (or words to that effect).

Now that got me thinking:

1) I doubt Fender would let somebody else make something like that.

2) Why would a sales rep want to show the internals to a customer, I'm sure they know what's in there already.

3) Should it actually be for sale?

The seller was a local guitar teacher who also has the stall, he seems an honest enough person, which leads me to think he's more clueless than a crook, but even though........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Sounds like one of the fairly common see-through Strat copies being sold for three times the going rate. If it doesn’t have a Fender logo it’s not actually illegal to sell. If it does then it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fftcfftc Frets: 559

Chinese Fender Copy.... by Fender.....

Sounds like a Squier!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    It has a Fender logo on the headstock, I was unable to look at the serial number or take photos.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    ICBM said:
    Sounds like one of the fairly common see-through Strat copies being sold for three times the going rate. If it doesn’t have a Fender logo it’s not actually illegal to sell. If it does then it is.
    What if it's got a "licensed" aftermarket neck? Or a full Fender-made replacement neck for that matter?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    Whitecat said:
    ICBM said:
    What if it's got a "licensed" aftermarket neck? Or a full Fender-made replacement neck for that matter?

then its a guitar assembled with Fender parts.... still not a Fender
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom