Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Soldering Superstars: How many hands do you have?

What's Hot
Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
Because two doesn't seem enough to me.

Just been soldering up a couple of stereo angled Neutrik connectors and it's been very tricky. When I had access to a university's music department we had some cool little jig/stand type things which held the connector and the cable and all I did was solder away but doing this at my kitchen table isn't quite so easy.

Can anyone recommend a decent soldering station for this kind of work?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415

What you need is a piece of wood ... like a lump of 4 x 2"   with holes drilled in the top for angled jacks and holes drilled in the sides for straight jacks. Then prep the cable so the ends naturally meet the contact they need to. Then tin the cable, tin the jacks and it's a piece of cake

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Danny1969 said:

What you need is a piece of wood ... like a lump of 4 x 2"   with holes drilled in the top for angled jacks and holes drilled in the sides for straight jacks. Then prep the cable so the ends naturally meet the contact they need to. Then tin the cable, tin the jacks and it's a piece of cake
    This... or what I do, which is just to have a scrap jack socket which you clamp into a bench vice whichever way round is most convenient.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    I have a lump of wood with a bulldog clip screwed to it as a third hand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    A pair of plyers with a strong elastic band wrapped round the handle can work as a stop gap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I use a big blob of blu-tack.
  • I use  alligator clips attached to a short length of rigid wire mounted on a heavy base, and a very small vise.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    +1 for the big blob-o-blutak approach....
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I use an old footswitch to hold the plug
  • One of these. Less than £10 from Amazon/Aldi. I’ve got one with a light around the magnifying glass which I find really useful. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3492
    My cheap helping hand fell apart.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Well don't I feel stupid! Such simple ideas I never thought of! I've got tons of wood offcuts in the garage so I'll get the drill out tomorrow. Don't know what they had at university but they were very posh.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3492
    My next one will have a light around the glass, it just makes so much sense. I've seen mobily phone repairers use like a microscope camera and a little tv screen for the fiddly bits, now that's posh.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I use this:

It's a Panavise Multi-Purpose Work Center - PV-350, with a Adafruit Third Hand Pana Hand Workstation Add-On.

Very handy.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    I use this:

It's a Panavise Multi-Purpose Work Center - PV-350, with a Adafruit Third Hand Pana Hand Workstation Add-On.

Very handy.

R.
    If you remove one arm do two more pop up in its place?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
    edited January 2019
    One of these. Less than £10 from Amazon/Aldi. I’ve got one with a light around the magnifying glass which I find really useful. 
    I’ve got one of these but personally I find it pretty useless for soldering - the base is too lightweight to hold it steady, the clips aren’t strong enough, the wing nuts don’t tighten the joints properly, and the magnifying glass is too small and poor quality. Apart from that they’re great! 

I bought a mini vice like this to try instead and it is equally useless imo, which maybe is no surprise when it only cost about £3.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123477441093

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    A word of warning if you get one with a magnifying glass. 

Do not leave it anywhere where the sun can shine on it, I came home from work once and it was focussing the sunlight on a portable battery pack and it was smoking like buggery. A few minutes later it would have got to the lithium ion cells :astonished: 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited January 2019
    I get this guy to help me:

s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    rico said:
    A word of warning if you get one with a magnifying glass. 

Do not leave it anywhere where the sun can shine on it, I came home from work once and it was focussing the sunlight on a portable battery pack and it was smoking like buggery. A few minutes later it would have got to the lithium ion cells :astonished: 
    I have a good friend whose house burnt down with such issue - Magnifying Glass left on the paper - Recall it made Radio 1 or 2 / Newsbeat etc
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I use an old pedal for jack plugs.
    Keeps it perfectly in the right position.