Help! Straplock problem

What's Hot
EggmanEggman Frets: 43
My Gretsch electromatic has those weird barrel screw in straplock things. The actual part that is attached/screwed in to the guitar is solid and fine. However, the barrel part that screws on, it's as if it will not tighten fully. It feels loose and I can keep turning it for ages and nothing happens. Any advice to solve the problem? Thank you, advice much appreciated.

Eggman
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I use a little clear nail varnish on the thread before the he button is fitted 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    sweepy said:
    I use a little clear nail varnish on the thread before the he button is fitted 
    I might try this. Maybe I've accidentally stripped the thread of the screw?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    I’m a Gretsch fanboy. I hate those strap pins.  I never truat them. I always replace them with proper modern straplocks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Loctite.

Or a 6" nail.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    If the button keeps turning, either the thread in the button is stripped or the screw is turning in the wood.

Either way I would replace them with standard strap buttons or locks as TheMarlin said. They’re not reliable or secure and the only reason they’re still used is for appearance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    TheMarlin said:
    I’m a Gretsch fanboy. I hate those strap pins.  I never truat them. I always replace them with proper modern straplocks 
    Yeah this plus beer grommets
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

How would you go about changing the pins over to straplocks, is it easy? How does it compare to a solid bodied guitar?

I have a Gretsch and (wrongly) assumed that the threaded pins were a good idea.

SNAKEBITE said:

How would you go about changing the pins over to straplocks, is it easy? How does it compare to a solid bodied guitar?

Remove the Gretsch pins - if it won't come out by tightening the 'knob' part as tight as you can and then undoing it again, there's a small Phillips screwdriver recess in the top of the screw - and screw in normal straplocks.

SNAKEBITE said:

I have a Gretsch and (wrongly) assumed that the threaded pins were a good idea.

They were in about 1955... when there were no really secure methods.

In practice, it's difficult to get the knob part to stay tight without then unwinding the screw part from the body when you undo it, and the screw into the body isn't large enough either so it can easily work loose or pull out - if I need to make them work I superglue the screw part into the body, that usually prevents them coming loose and allows you to tighten the knob. They also won't take a modern thick strap, there isn't enough of a gap between the knob and the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

If you do replace the pins for modern strap locks , then something to consider is the strap lock near the neck. The Bigsby end has a block of wood to screw into, the neck end doesn’t always. 
    It’s a good idea to remove the existing locks when the strings are off, remove the pickups (don’t unsolder, you just want access through the pickup holes), put elasticated string through the neck pin hole, thread it through the pickup hole, and through a small block of wood. Apply glue to one end and pull through the body, tighten the string, and tie off at the headstock until the glue had dried. Make sure not to foul any electrics along the way (pickup/tone switches etc - I’d remove these first). 
    Remove string, then install modern strap locks

Modern strap locks have longer thicker screws than the Gretsch units, and like more wood to bite into. 

All Brian Setzer models come with proper strap locks as standard. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    I am going to replace them with modern strap locks at some point. In the meantime, to avoid any disasters I've got the strap going round the headstock like on some acoustic guitars. It looks a bit weird on a Gretsch, but it's better than my guitar falling and getting damaged. Thank you for all the advice.
    Which strap locks would you recommend?
    Eggman said:
    I am going to replace them with modern strap locks at some point. In the meantime, to avoid any disasters I've got the strap going round the headstock like on some acoustic guitars. It looks a bit weird on a Gretsch, but it's better than my guitar falling and getting damaged. Thank you for all the advice.
    Which strap locks would you recommend?
    I like Schaller strap locks, and just use them on all my guitars. Fashions change. I don’t know what’s popular at the moment - there may be something ‘new and improved’ that others recommend....
    Beware of Chinese copies. The screws can fail as they’re not properly tempered, or cheap metals. Get the real thing  :)
    I fitted Dunlop ones on my Gretsch, because they will take the plastic Dunlop 'Ergo' straplocks better than Schallers. I don't like metal straplock systems much, I prefer standard buttons and a device to stop a standard strap coming off them. 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I've had Dunlop, Schaller and Marvel strap locks and all of them have issues, usually by stressing the top horn screw causing it to loosen. For what it's worth, I much prefer a standard strap button with a Grolsch washer.