King Tone Switch?

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Just seen this on Jesse Daveys Kingtone site....is this even a thing?

https://www.kingtoneguitar.com/product/king-tone-switch/

What even is it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    It is a sort of varitone.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Reminds me of the  ATN gubbins Alan Entwhistle has been sticking in Hohners and Revelations for years. The ATN was originally potted into the plastic caps from beer bottles. Personally, I suspect encasing these sorts of devices is primarily to stop copycatting but also to stop punters realising they've forked out £££ on a switch and a couple of resistors and capacitors.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    horsehead said:
    Just seen this on Jesse Davies Kingtone site....is this even a thing?

https://www.kingtoneguitar.com/product/king-tone-switch/

What even is it?
    It's a passive tone network, or type of Varitone as octatonic said. At most it can contain some caps, resistors and possibly a small choke - essentially it's going to be removing different treble or mid frequencies and (less likely) bass ones, but that might be quite interesting. I haven't tried one myself.

Sesh said:
    Reminds me of the  ATN gubbins Alan Entwhistle has been sticking in Hohners and Revelations for years. The ATN was originally potted into the plastic caps from beer bottles. Personally, I suspect encasing these sorts of devices is primarily to stop copycatting but also to stop punters realising they've forked out £££ on a switch and a couple of resistors and capacitors.
    Or the 'Black Ice' "Overdrive" circuit, which if I remember was simply two diodes and a cap and relied on the natural output of the pickups to make the diodes clip... ie not much!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sesh said:
    As it happens I have one in my spares box do you have a wiring diagram?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • 'king tone switch? Wossyer problem wivvit?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Sesh said:
    As it happens I have one in my spares box do you have a wiring diagram?
    I wish. I stumbled upon ATN a few years ago when a hohner jt60 was going cheap locally. There was vague stuff on the web. There's a thread on here somewhere. I think this may be how I found this place. I think I saw a wiring diagram somewhere once, somewhere, but I think it might only be partial, and speculative. The newer iteration is linked to a rotary switch, but the jt60 version is linked to two strat style tone pots, one of which also blends in the middle pickup.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Sounds like absolute wham
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    I love Varitones but that looks like one of the crappy ones with just caps and resistors.

There's a similar one one eBay but at least that's only £16. I run a 1.5H inductor in series with it and it works well.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    horsehead said:

What even is it?
    I'm always telling the wife off for saying that. It ain't not proper English.