Cover Challenge #4 - chat thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    markv said:
    poopot said:
    markv said:
    I've been listening back to what I have so far, which has several acoustic rhythm guitar tracks, and now all I can hear is the squeaks of my fingers on the strings in between certain chord changes. Is it worth trying to edit them out or do I just need to re-record it?
    are they that bad? or are you just being hypercritical? 
    Yes, I wondered that, but no, I don't think I am. You know how you come back to it after a day or so's break and notice something that you hadn't before? It's glaring and because it's on more than one guitar at the same time, it's amplified.

I think I'll try dipping the volume or eq'ing it just on those bits and see if it makes enough of a difference. I think editing it out is possible but would be too obvious.
    Bounce a version and send it over I’ll see if my old ears notice it if you like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markv said:
    I've been listening back to what I have so far, which has several acoustic rhythm guitar tracks, and now all I can hear is the squeaks of my fingers on the strings in between certain chord changes. Is it worth trying to edit them out or do I just need to re-record it?
    Ilike those noises. But I hate those noises when I record or play live... But lots of great recordings have them.

Perhaps you could leave them in and use some sidechain compression to tame the highest frequencies a bit

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    markv said:
    Ilike those noises. But I hate those noises when I record or play live... But lots of great recordings have them.

Perhaps you could leave them in and use some sidechain compression to tame the highest frequencies a bit

Interesting - hadn't thought of using compression. I'll look into it. What I've been working on so far is just taking the volume down for those fractions of a second so that the squeaks are audible but not so loud. Cutting them out altogether sounds unnatural.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Sent mine in
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
  • Last weekend peeps. Entries close end of play on Thursday so still time
  • Sadly I won't be able to make this one because we're still in a small flat, until the work on our house reaches a stage where we can move back in.

I'm just about able to keep up with the monthly challenges I run by doing things on laptop, and accessing the internet by using my phone as a mobile hotspot.
    It's not a competition.
    I've been short of time, and I've lost my way with this one a little bit and I'm not happy with it. I think I've just created a dirge. I've got a couple of days off next week and will try something else.
    Ugh, I'm not going to finish this in time (although I want to try and finish it later for my own benefit). I've had a million things to do and too little time, which might explain why what I have is so unsatisfactory.

Had a quick listen to what's been done so far by everyone else - the usual top standard.

Hope to join in again next time.
  • Entries close 11.30pm tonight

(although I might have an early night and officially close it tomorrow morning)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Entries closed