Elixir strings - tighter/higher tension v NYXL?

What's Hot
RandomGeckoRandomGecko Frets: 319
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Anybody noticed this? Been using Elixirs since 2011 - first the nanoweb, then the Optiweb since the middle of last year - but just recently tried some NYXLs for the sake of it, and noticed how much higher tension the Elixirs are. They just seem less bendable somehow?

Anybody else noticed this? What causes it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052
    Bought a set recently and I don't like how they feel. Been using Elixir nanowebs for a while now and shall be going back to them. Wouldn't say they feel tighter though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    Yeah I noticed quite a change when I moved on to Optiwebs - felt like cheesewire when I was stretching them in the first time!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I use Nanowebs, they're definitely not as slinky as, er, Slinkies. 
  • I haven't tried NYXL's, but I was under the impression that they were a looser feeling string.
  • 545454 said:
    Yeah I noticed quite a change when I moved on to Optiwebs - felt like cheesewire when I was stretching them in the first time!
    Yup, exactly
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I use Ernie Ball and have on a few occasions experimented with a few D'Add types
    overall I've always found the D'Adds to be a little darker and a little looser than the Ernie's
    I stuck with the Ernie's for both reasons above

that said, I tried a set of NYXL on my Strat and they're lovely
    I've had them on for almost 2 years now and they still sound great [I teach with that guitar so they get plenty of use]..
    their durability and ability to retain their tone is really impressive..
    I was so impressed at the time that I tried them on one of my V's..
    sadly they didn't work at all well so I replaced them with Ernie's within just a few days..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Yes I noticed this when switching from Elixirs to Daddario's standard 10-46 gauge. The Daddario's are alot more slinky feeling than the Elixirs and alot easier to bend. I don't think I could go back to Elixirs now.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Yes I noticed this when switching from Elixirs to Daddario's standard 10-46 gauge. The Daddario's are alot more slinky feeling than the Elixirs and alot easier to bend. I don't think I could go back to Elixirs now.
    I use 9-42 Elixirs for that very reason, they are stiffer than conventional strings. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I did feel a slight change from D'Addario EXL or whatever it is to Optiwebs but not much and only at the 'far end' of a decent bend, and I normally feel stiffness keenly because of a chopped finger & lost strength. They last way longer so mainly using them now. Didn't like the sound & feel of Nanowebs though, on a Strat at least.
    I fancy trying NYXLs though some people say they're brighter? Not something I need.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited January 2019
    Yes. I always thought elixirs have a higher tension. I use it to my advantage on guitars that will predominantly be drop tuned as I can still use my preferred string gauge. The rest of my guitars get my preferred EB slinkys. 
  • I use NYXLs on my strat no problem. I have just put a set of 10-46 on my Gretsch and they do feel looser. Sound good though
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Wouldn't say NYXLs are brighter.  More kinda punchy if anything.  Definitely respond to a bend in a different way to regular EXLs.  Takes a day or two to get used to it but they're very good.  Last for ages - I've had mine on for about 9 months and they've coped, at different times, to a pickup swap and a new set of tuners.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I dislike NYXL and Elixir for the same reason - a weird tension in the string that's not pleasant - I found Ernie Ball Cobalt is the best for longevity and comfort over the coated types of strings

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Vaiai said:
    I dislike NYXL and Elixir for the same reason - a weird tension in the string that's not pleasant - I found Ernie Ball Cobalt is the best for longevity and comfort over the coated types of strings

I've not tried the Cobalts...
    what's the difference between those and the regular EB strings?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I just put a set of Optiwebs (courtesy of @chrisv and the team at Guitar magazine on my Jap Squier Strat. Nice strings but I did notice that the bridge (set floating) was pulled higher than previously set with the usual d’addarrios. 
    Not that I’m anally retentive, you understand but when measured the bridge was sitting 0.78mm higher than before. This was measured with digital callipers and compared to a measurement taken during a previous set up.
    Therefore I do conclude that the tension (string pull) is greater with that set of Elixir strings. Same gauge strings.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    If this is true, then the density of the strings (or the string and the coating) must be substantially different between the brands.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    I'm using the heavy 11 NYXL on my strat are feel taught and perfect, I've put the same on the Les Paul and it feels so loose that they feel floppy! 
  • This is interesting, am thinking of switching strings in my MIJ Squier strat and was considering Elixirs, but won't if they're a lot stiffer. I have had EB 9-42 Slinkies on it since forever.

The cobalts look interesting