Things to do in Cornwall

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited April 2014
    Ethnically, we Cornish are a right hotch-potch as Cornwall was primarily a place you went to by sea before the advent of trains and cars. My family is Cornish through and through as far back as we can trace but the name probably indicates we are Normans. Anyone called Pendragon might be able to claim some Anglo-Saxon heritage.  There are are a lot of dark (often curly)-haired Cornish with blue eyes, revealing connections with the Bretons and the Welsh (themselves claiming to be true Brit), some red hair too from the Celts/Irish.  Lots of even darker folk who have genetic connections with Spain and even Africa (via the Romans but also since the 2WW).  So this petit-nationalism is spurious IMO.  Particularly as the lady from Mebyon Kernow didn't even have a Cornish accent.  Come and meet some of my family m'dear! Then you'm 'll've  met some Cornish folk, proper 'tis.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RobDavies said:
     It always rains when I go. Expect to pay through the nose for everything and if you want a 3G signal, you're buggered. :-)
    Sad, but true. And some of the reasons I don't live there any more.
  • RockhopperRockhopper Frets: 99
    edited April 2014
    VimFuego said:

EricTheWeary said:

Nah, but the lack of anyone with a Cornish accent when we have been in recent years is quite puzzling.

If you want to hear a genuine Cornish accent I'll get my Mum for you....Serious old school Penzance accent. (Think Pirate style)

When I were a lad you could tell the areas of Cornwall you were in by the accent. Sort of miss that a bit however the bigger gene pool is definitely a plus.

same in Devon. The north Devon accent is much softer and more lilting than the south Devon one. And the north Devonians (at least the old ones) all talk really quietly and softly (mind you, that may be cos not one of them is more than 4 foot tall so I may just not be hearing them properly).

EricTheWeary said:

Nah, but the lack of anyone with a Cornish accent when we have been in recent years is quite puzzling.

If you want to hear a genuine Cornish accent I'll get my Mum for you....Serious old school Penzance accent. (Think Pirate style)

When I were a lad you could tell the areas of Cornwall you were in by the accent. Sort of miss that a bit however the bigger gene pool is definitely a plus.

Having been to Cornwall many, many times over the years ( I live very near the M5 so I get on that and just keep going until I run out of roads) there has been a distinctive loss of the Cornish accent over the period. Seems like every shop there is now run by someone who went to Cornwall to move out of London - why bother when everybody else in the street is from London anyway?

Next time I go I'll be needing the adress of Rockhopper's mom.

And for a complete difference in Cornish accent my Dad has a Redruth accent. A very different style to the Camborne accent which is only 3 miles away.

My mum cooks the best pasties too. Proper Cornish! Funnily enough the 'real' Cornish people I know are very friendly and now we are officially a minority!

Personally I think the 'minority' is stupid and the sooner we lose 'minority' in any sense the faster we can get on with being Human!

Is it 'cause I is Cornish? C M B D I's !

• RockhopperRockhopper Frets: 99
    edited April 2014

Oops double post.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Jason Morris always had good things to say about St Austell...
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3086
    I'd recommend the go karts at St Eval and the Cornish Rattler Cyder Farm (in that order)... just buy any cider from the supermarket up the road.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I have a sister in Redruth.
    She ain't worked in 33 years.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited April 2014
    I have a sister in Redruth.
    She ain't worked in 33 years.
    Is she single?

EDIT: is this an answer to the thread title??
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    Depending on your transport arrangements, walk from Rock to Polzeath via Trebetherick, have a picnic lunch on the beach or rocks. Walk back via the clifftop over Brea Hill and along Daymer Bay.  Catch the ferry to Padstow and have tea or dinner. If tea, walk back down the old railway line to Wadebridge. Finish off the evening in a pub of your choice on the way to or near your lodging. Purfick my 'andsome.

if you like walking, carry on from polzeath to the rumps and view the place where i told my fiancée to marry me.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited April 2014
    viz said:
    if you like walking, carry on from polzeath to the rumps and view the place where i told my fiancée to marry me.
       What is it with links not posting ? www.iwalknorthcornwall.co.uk/walk/new_polzeath_to_rumps
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited April 2014
    http://m.iwalknorthcornwall.co.uk/walk/new_polzeath_to_rumps

Beautiful pic of the little rump, the mouls island and trebarwith & tintagel in the distance
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Leave "I heart Devon" tea towels/trays/mugs in the shops.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    So, we went to the following: 

Newquay (was disappointed) 
    Eden Project (was hot but had pasties) 
    Boscastle (Witchcraft Museum and Cream Tea)  
    Padstow (Ice Cream and wondered how much of the place Rick Stein now owns) 
    St Ives (for food and a drive) 
    Perrenporth (for some milk and a looksie at the beach) 

All in all, a very lovely trip away. 
    Believe me, before Rick came Padstow was dead as a doornail. The man is a demigod - just wish I could afford to eat at his restaurants.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4151
    My singer is from Madron, right down past Hayle, so we go down to play that area for parties very so often. Always a great gig.
    But it always reminds me of an old Cornish joke he told as a friendly lot down here stage thing. 
    A man walked up to me and said do you want to go to a party, I said what kind of party? 
    He said be a bit of drinking, some wild sex, bit of fighting, more drinking etc,
    I said sounds like a wild party who's going? 
    He said "oh, just me and you"