The Answer Is Hot Rod Deluxe... Isn't It?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 1228
    octatonic said:
    roberty said:
    octatonic said:
    Never really been a fan.
    I'd always take a Fender Deluxe Reverb over the HR.
    I prefer the DRRI too, but word of warning you'll never have your cleans squeaky clean at loud drummer levels. A bonus imo. The built in trem is lusheroo
    True, which is why you buy two of them. :)
    Yes mate! That's the spirit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 11513
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

I wish it did, I'd be delighted. The drive channel is much more middy and boxy than the clean channel, I can't wait for the warranty to be up so I can research making it match the clean channel. 

Any tips in the meantime are most welcome though.
    Dial the amp in for the drive channel and let the clean take care of itself. The clean channel is much less fussy and will still sound good even if the settings are quite a lot different from the 'best'.

I actually find them quite similar though - maybe it's the type of guitars we use...
    Yeah maybe that's it. I'm prepared to dial it in, if I could get it where I want it I wouldn't be channel switching anyway.

I do actually quite like the dirt channel for the same reasons you do, but for general use I'd prefer it to be exactly like the clean except with a little hair.

I'll study the schematic and see if it's feasible and exactly why they're EQ-ed differently. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 711
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

I wish it did, I'd be delighted. The drive channel is much more middy and boxy than the clean channel, I can't wait for the warranty to be up so I can research making it match the clean channel. 

Any tips in the meantime are most welcome though.
    Dial the amp in for the drive channel and let the clean take care of itself. The clean channel is much less fussy and will still sound good even if the settings are quite a lot different from the 'best'.

I actually find them quite similar though - maybe it's the type of guitars we use...
    I can only speak for the George Benson model which as far as I know is the same as the standard HRD v3 (albeit with 12AT7 in V1 position for lower gain).

The "Dirt Chanel" is fed from the same input stage as Clean via a separate volume control which is fed via a very small Capacitor (0.0015 uF) (1.5nF). This trims the bass response significantly which in my experience means that you can't match the basic tone of both channels. As I said in another thread, I have modified mine to increase the value of this capacitor to 0.0033 uF (3.3nF), this is still a little bass light compared to clean channel but helps with the tonal balance between Clean and Dirty. I'd say that "parity" between both channels would involve something like 6.8nF.....roughly.

There is also a low pass filter on the Drive Level Control, this cuts high end "post distortion" - I have removed mine completely (just clipped the ceramic capacitor leads). This also helps to equalise the tonal response between Clean and Dirty but would no doubt start to sound very rough if you drive that channel hard. With lower gain "grit" it's fine. 

• Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 122

For me Blues Deluxe >>> Hot Rod. Although the Hot Rod is OK.

A better option is to look for a second hand Custom Vibrolux Reverb - either the current 'reissue' (yeah I know it's not really a Vibrolux') or the older made in USA Blackface styled ones. Plenty loud enough at 35W, but a bit more refined and 'classic Fender' than the others.

Thanks @exocet , I need to save that info for when my warranty runs out, though my patience doesn't usually last that long haha
  • exocetexocet Frets: 711
    p90fool said:
    Thanks @exocet , I need to save that info for when my warranty runs out, though my patience doesn't usually last that long haha
    Just drop me a line when you need to, I'll give you the info - might even be able to take photos of the internals of mine to help you locate the parts etc.
    exocet said:
    p90fool said:
    Just drop me a line when you need to, I'll give you the info - might even be able to take photos of the internals of mine to help you locate the parts etc.
    Fantastic, many thanks!
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 90
    I gig a hrd all the time. It's great for what I do live and is always loud enough no matter how big the hall/club is when we arrive (we run back line only). It is heavy though and not always fun carrying for long distances. Only ever use the clean channel and use pedals for gain. Use a volume control in the effects loop to get it singing - I think I bought the volume control on this forum. My hrd is a III and is covered in tweed lacquer. 

But it's not a home amp. I have a Carr Mercury for home use and keep it on 1/2 watt setting, which sounds amazing. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 698
    OK, so my somewhat unexpected resolution was...

This!

I got to thinking about what I really wanted, which was great, Fendery cleans, a little grunt if needed, basically my Renegade, only in a back-friendly format.

It's a Tweaker 40 - so far, it sounds really good.  I think that the "Tweaker" title is a misnomer; it's not a complicated amp at all, more like a Fender-type loud combo with several switchable EQ stages.  For my tastes, it's going to be about setting it how I think it'll sound good and pretty much leaving it there.  And it's pretty dang loud!

Still playing with it - it's a little boxy on some settings when compared with my Renegade, but it's a 1x12 so I'd kinda expect that. But there's definitely a shared heritage with that amp, it does sound remarkably similar in some respects, which is great because my Renegade is awesome.

Thanks for the help and advice, guys.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 1372
    Is one side shorter than the other?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 698
    Philtre said:
    No, that's my house...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 38377
    MrBump said:
    Philtre said:
    No, that's my house...
    It's caused by the magnetic field of the speaker in the Fender bass cab.

;)
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 210
    I have had a Blues Delux for several years. The clean channel is better IMHO, and I use a Thorpy Gunshot for drive. Covers most bases for a covers band guitarist except for Heavy Metal. Before that I had a peavey classic 30, but the Fender clean is better.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 4811
    Mark1960 said:
    I have had a Blues Delux for several years. The clean channel is better IMHO, and I use a Thorpy Gunshot for drive. Covers most bases for a covers band guitarist except for Heavy Metal. Before that I had a peavey classic 30, but the Fender clean is better.

The Fender is a lot better built as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    Mark1960 said:

crunchman said:
    Mark1960 said:

Don't think there is much in it to be honest. The Fender is bigger and heavier, but apart from that both are pretty solid I would say
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 38377
    Mark1960 said:
    crunchman said:

Don't think there is much in it to be honest. The Fender is bigger and heavier, but apart from that both are pretty solid I would say
    No, the Fender is much better built than the Peavey. More reliable and also a lot easier to work on if it does go wrong...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 1372
    ICBM said:
    Mark1960 said:
    crunchman said:

No, the Fender is much better built than the Peavey. More reliable and also a lot easier to work on if it does go wrong...
    Ah, the Peavey's triple-decker PCB of doom....
    ICBM said:
    Mark1960 said:
    crunchman said:

Having not had to take either to bits, I bow to your greater experience.