Strengthening nails for fingerstyle?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The wolfram files are excellent. Use little and often and try to smooth out even the smallest nicks. That will give you the best playing surface and lessen the chance of breakages.
    I would also echo the advice above of keeping them fairly short and developing your technique to use some flesh and just a bit of nail to add some definition to the note. You can also increase the variety of tones (timbre) by varying the attack and decay of the notes depending on how much flesh or nail you use. 
    Similar to your fretting hand you will develop calluses, but much lighter, on your picking hand.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I tried all kinds of strengthening years ago, my nails being very weak. Nothing worked. I just play fingerstyle with fingers and not nails, there is a massive bonus to this in that I hate the sound/feel of longer nails clacking on a piano.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    doesn't Clive Carroll use ping pong balls?

I keep my nails shorter than  I used to, now just a little longer than the fingertip. Seems to improve tone, accuracy, and reduce breakages. Also I use a full set of graded nail boards, starting with a glass file to ensure there are no rough edges, because rough edges snag and tear
  • I've tried everything over the years and recently, following a very busy spell of gigging, turned to acrylics out of desperation.

It's been a revelation! I need to modify and refine the shape and thickness a little after leaving the nail bar but they've been excellent.

• Merrick said:

I've tried everything over the years and recently, following a very busy spell of gigging, turned to acrylics out of desperation.

It's been a revelation! I need to modify and refine the shape and thickness a little after leaving the nail bar but they've been excellent.

Based on my experience, you will never look back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I had this problem when I returned to playing two years ago. I became quite expert with tea bag / superglue repairs - but thought I was destined to play mainly nylon strings.

Back in August I discovered Barielle nail strengthener cream (obtainable through Amazon) and haven't had a problem since. I believe it is supposed to contain the stuff used for strengthening horses' hooves.  I found it recommended on a classical guitar forum.

The result after a short period of time has been stronger but more supple nails less prone to breakage - without the "clickiness" of hardened nails or fingerpicks.

Prior to using Barielle, I also used the Orly nail rescue kit for small repairs - which is easier and neater to use than the tea bag / superglue method.
  • GTC said:
    I had this problem when I returned to playing two years ago. I became quite expert with tea bag / superglue repairs - but thought I was destined to play mainly nylon strings.

Back in August I discovered Barielle nail strengthener cream (obtainable through Amazon) and haven't had a problem since. I believe it is supposed to contain the stuff used for strengthening horses' hooves.  I found it recommended on a classical guitar forum.

The result after a short period of time has been stronger but more supple nails less prone to breakage - without the "clickiness" of hardened nails or fingerpicks.

Prior to using Barielle, I also used the Orly nail rescue kit for small repairs - which is easier and neater to use than the tea bag / superglue method.
    Interesting, I need to try this - do you use the one with Biotin or the other one?

GTC said:

Interesting, I need to try this - do you use the one with Biotin or the other one?

I use the one without Biotin - in the white and blue container

I use the one without Biotin - in the blue and white container. For me I started noticing the difference after about a week. For 6 weeks I used it twice a day and now just once per day. Application is just rubbing into nails and cuticles so it is a very quick  process

• Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Interesting thread.. I've always kept my fingernails short so they don't impede my picking, I can't play with long nails...i just get snagged up in the strings if I try. 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    zepp76 said:
    Do any of you fine people have any tips for strengthening nails for fingerstyle playing please? I'm really getting into acoustic playing and would appreciate any tips you have, thank you.
    My old classical guitar teacher occasionally glued a piece of plastic to his thumb. But that's only if it had broken.
    That is of course 'pre-nail bar' days.

I think the main nail to focus on is the thumb. That's if you use a your index finger nail as the plectrum on down, and thumbnail on upstrokes. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • Balrog68 said:
    Interesting thread.. I've always kept my fingernails short so they don't impede my picking, I can't play with long nails...i just get snagged up in the strings if I try. 

My acrylic nails are very short. I only need a few millimetres of nail edge, this also allows me to use a little flesh if required. Like you, I cant cope with long nails but I need to be able to take a hard swipe at the strings occasionally and need to know there'll be something left on my finger ends at the end of the song.

Someone mentioned the "clickiness" of acrylic nails on strings. I've found that this is much reduced by applying less acrylic to the nail. For some reason the nail bars like to apply the stuff in a mound onto the nail, making a bulge near the cuticle. I found by filing this down and shaping the nail edge so there is a thin, but hard, coating, the sound of the nail on the string is quite natural and my nail bar now knows how I want them.

If I hadn't already committed to acrylic nails (you'd need a decent spell of not gigging to get them grown out and your own nails back to something like usable) I'd certainly be looking at the Biotin option but I can't see it ruling out broken nails completely.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
     dont really use my fingers lately as working on alternate picking. never had a problem if nails are kept short. Using a capo may help.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    GTC said:
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/015/oreally.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    I get Acrylic nails put on in a Nailbar for tele chicken-pickin' .......they work brilliantly even if I do look like a drag queen on my day off .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been told that eating foods with gelatin  can help. A professional player swore by it and ate a couple of cubes of raw flavoured jelly ( that you dissolve to make normal jelly) each day.