edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    gringopig said:
    horse said:
    Beyond the big star influenced bands, I think of this type of thing as power pop too - strong pop melodies with a bit of chunk behind it - might not be proper power pop though I'll admit:

All good though!
    Yeah - I like that type of thing when I get started on my drunk track browsing on a weekend evening!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    It's a sort of made up definition but I know it when I hear it. The Chime, the melody and the lack of blues rock content. Sort of Byrds with additional OOOMPH.

Yes Byrds/Beatles with more oomph and/or The Who with a bit less oomph and bigger harmonies was kind of the starting point for the early 70s power pop bands. A lot of the bands that I listed upthread took it forward later in the 70s and were mainly a bit more garagey and often got lumped in with new wave. It's all a continuum anyway. 

• gringopig said:
    I remember my first exposure to pop with bite was this:

1970. The point where The Beatles and the Byrds had passed the pop melody onto the kids. I like Power Pop because it has a groove and melody and it didn't  come back until The Stone Roses.
    I think the missing link between the 70s and the Stone Roses is early Creation records. It's a bit of a stretch because a lot of the bands were pretty amateurish, but the likes of The Bodines, Revolving Paint Dream, The Jasmine Minks etc led towards the Stone Roses in many ways.