Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£84 Epiphone Les Paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Rocker said:
    But, but, but...
    This is all well and good, but it's NOT a Les Paul.

It's a Melody Maker. 

I have a Gibson Melody Maker and it is a decent guitar, a lot better than it looks.  One pickup and a volume control - what more do you need?
    I agree. I LOVE Melody Makers, I can't understand why this guitar is being advertised as a Les Paul .
    I wonder if it's simply a marketing exercise... More people will have heard of a Les Paul than a Melody Maker. A starter with a Les Paul won't know the difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Epiphone appears to have applied a "Les Paul MODEL" decal to the headstock and engraved the legend "Melody Maker" into the truss rod cover plate.

I'd call that marketing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

• I'd call that marketing.
    -not much gets past you, sherlock :-P
  • alexhalexh Frets: 58
    alexh said:
    Every year parents are cajoled into buying an electric guitar for their offspring.  They haven't a clue so end up buying some Encore (or similar) shite.  Kid is disappointed, nothing much to show off to mates, so doesn't knuckle down to learn.
    Now.....if they had an LP with Epiphone on the headstock, that would be a reason to learn and pose ! 
    Brands are powerful motivators !
    Bull sheet!
    Thank you for your kind words, I'm unused to being responded to so rudely.  Your thoughts on the £84 Epi LP might have been a little more interesting.  I sometimes disagree with other peoples' viewpoints too and I usually find that a discussion can be enlightening to both parties.  I recommend that you don't use your keyboard warrior style in your day to day life as it will probably lead to you being a contributor on the "Cracked Ribs" thread.
    Thanks for the sage advice. I thought your post showed a total ignorance of what motivates children to learn and I found the idea that it's the brand of guitar (or recorder, or bike, etc) particularly irritating. It's about the relationship, spending time with them whilst learning. Giving feedback and support. Also about modelling learning and practice ourselves.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Every year parents are cajoled into buying an electric guitar for their offspring.  They haven't a clue so end up buying some Encore (or similar) shite.  Kid is disappointed, nothing much to show off to mates, so doesn't knuckle down to learn.
    Now.....if they had an LP with Gibson on the headstock, that would be a reason to learn and pose ! 
    FTFY

:)

I've never played a fundamentally bad Epiphone.
    You must have never come across one of their superstrat-styled ones from the late 80s, with pointy headstocks and often with 'crackle' finishes. In which case be thankful for small mercies...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    ICBM said:
    I've never played a fundamentally bad Epiphone.
    You must have never come across one of their superstrat-styled ones from the late 80s, with pointy headstocks and often with 'crackle' finishes. In which case be thankful for small mercies...
    I haven't, no!

I've owned a couple of Korean ones, and still own two chinese ones, a LP Custom Pro in white and a Dot.

The LP has the newer Probucker pickups in and I think is a great guitar.  The Dot has pickups in I plain don't like much, they are fairly muddy, so if I ever swapped on any guitar, it would be that one.

I never found the Korean ones notably better than the Chinese ones.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    alexh said:
    alexh said:
    Now.....if they had an LP with Epiphone on the headstock, that would be a reason to learn and pose ! 
    Bull sheet!
    Thank you for your kind words, I'm unused to being responded to so rudely.  Your thoughts on the £84 Epi LP might have been a little more interesting.  I sometimes disagree with other peoples' viewpoints too and I usually find that a discussion can be enlightening to both parties.  I recommend that you don't use your keyboard warrior style in your day to day life as it will probably lead to you being a contributor on the "Cracked Ribs" thread.
    Thanks for the sage advice. I thought your post showed a total ignorance of what motivates children to learn and I found the idea that it's the brand of guitar (or recorder, or bike, etc) particularly irritating. It's about the relationship, spending time with them whilst learning. Giving feedback and support. Also about modelling learning and practice ourselves.
    I dunno , a shite guitar certainly will hinder their experience as a good one, I have played some pretty awful so called starter guitars. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.