Advice from Les Paul geeks please - which variant of pre-owned Gibson Les Paul for a grand?

rze99rze99 Frets: 2351

The second guitarist in my band is having a love affair with my Les Paul and wants one. He most definitely can't have mine, but happy for him to play it while I'm around.

He's asking me about the best value Les Paul (used prices), but wants a "proper" Les Paul, sunburst, humbuckers, with all the binding, so the Tributes are out. He's looking to pay about a grand for a used one. It must be a Gibson, not an Epiphone or other. He wants the 60's neck profile not fatter 50s.

I haven't tried any of the Traditional / Classic and other varieties of Les Pauls that are steps down from the Standard. These variants seem good value on the surface at least.

Which of these less expensive variants would you recommend and why?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    edited January 2019
    Les Paul Traditional, you can get one for a grand if you shop around . It's a proper full fat Les Paul with proper construction and hardware although Classic 57 and 57 plus pickups are a bit of an acquired taste
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    The Classic and Traditional ARE Les Paul Standards, ironically it's the modern LP Standard which messes with the formula. 

The Traditional is the 2008 Standard spec, not an inferior model. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27229
    Ideally a Trad or pre-2008 Standard - essentially the same model with a different name. Some of those have bigger necks but plenty have the 60's one, but they're generally good guitars with the "right" spec. 

If he wants a really thin neck then an old-style Classic (1990 ish to 2006 ish) is a good bet. Skinny neck, really beefy pickups and slightly snot-green inlays, but usually cheaper than equivalent Standard. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Early 90's standards or Classics are good way to go. bought a 94 classic a while back for just over a grand and it was mint and sounded fantastic. 
    I bought mine at the GH auction and theirs usually a few in each auction that are around a grand. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2351
    Great advice much appreciated thanks all!