Beer drinkers! Is Murphy's Stout still available near you?

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I used to like Caffreys with the widget...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    For those still interested in London pubs stocking Murphys I have found the Nelson near Southwark tube and The Hope near Goodge St both stock it. Also a small South London pub chain called Parched seem have it in most if not all of there 6 or so pubs.
    I ve been past the Nelson late last year, didn't pop in but a great looking pub, I was staying round the corner at the Hilton Bankside for work, just by The White Hart. Will have to pop in for a Murphys when I'm back down in a few weeks. I looked at the Nelson every day when I walked past it heading to Southwark tube station.

The White Hart is a nice pub BTW.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    I used to like Caffreys with the widget...
    And the free headache that came with it?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11992
    I haven't seen either Murphy's or Caffreys on draught for a very long time indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    Just checked my data. 

Murphy's is still an active brand, but i'm only showing about 500 pubs with it on the bar.  there will be more as its not one of ours so my data isn't as good.  About 60% of those come from an update in the last year so can be considered current

For Caffreys I show 2500 pubs, 50% updated in the last year.  I will highlight that fond memories of 90's Caffreys likely come from the ABV at the time.  It was easy drinking and relatively strong.  It's a different drink now.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If anyone wants me to find the nearest to them I can have a go.  Give me a county or postcode
  • Annoyingly the best non guinness Stout by a long shot  currently is Forge, but I loath giving money to that POS Mcgregor.  
  • swiller said:
    stout lovers should try the blackheart by brewdog. not a fan of brewdog stuff normally, and stumbled across it, but since then gallons of the stuff has been poured down my gizzard
    Its pretty decent in Nitro form but for the price the regular one is OK too. Less than a quid a can from supermarkets
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4323
    The only drinkable stouts I have found available in a supermarket are Siren Broken Dream breakfast stout, and Magic Rock Dark Arts (IMO).

Brewdog Jet Blackheart is really nice on tap, but tastes like shite from a can. 

I love porter and stout. They are my favourite types of beer, but I guess I have quite niche tastes. I don't think I could drink 99% of the beers listed in this thread.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• westwest Frets: 996
    i like youngs London stout on draught ;)  beamish used to be my fave but that disappeared long ago , i think its still available in some parts of ireland ....

• Murphy's is owned by Heineken now, so hopefully they'll have a big push like Whitbread did in the '90s to try and win some market share.
    Murphy's is owned by Heineken now, so hopefully they'll have a big push like Whitbread did in the '90s to try and win some market share.
    Heineken have owned the brewery for 40 years ago. The Heineken Ireland offices are in the old Murphys brewery.  I know the UK distribution has swapped around a few times since then, but its been back with Heineken UK for quite a while now.  I've worked specifically in this area for 12 years now, and i can't remember when it last changed.

None of the big brewers invest heavily in this area as it's so hard to make any gains against Guinness.  There are little pushes every so often, but few stick despite the beers often performing better in every other measurable way  Heineken tried a new one a few years ago and it didn't last.  We also have one that hasn't yet taken off the way we hoped.  Someday one will, but its a risky investment in the beer market
  • What I've heard from landlords over the years is that Guinness are a very tough firm to deal with, and they make it difficult for landlords who want to stock another stout. I don't know if this is still true, or indeed if it ever was.
    They are pretty decent to deal with on my level.  Their sales guys can be a bit cheeky, but that isn't unusual.    Everyone else sells their beer for them and supplies the equipment they install on, so they have little leverage there.  But lets not forget they also supply most of the big name spirits.

It rarely makes sense to have more than 1 stout on the bar, just from a volume perspective.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Muddy Murphy’s pub in Singapore use to sell it, think they just do Guinness now.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I spent the entire 90s on stouts but can't drink them now due to over consumption. I haven't had one since about 2003. Guinness and chips made me the big lad I am now. Murphy's and Gillespies I like but Beamish can do one. I haven't got the stomach for the much heralded Brewdog efforts - maybe one day.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    Killkenny was another stout that now seems gone. 
  • grungebob said:
    Killkenny was another stout that now seems gone. 

The Kilkenny that I know is a red beer, like Swithwicks.
  • I spent the entire 90s on stouts but can't drink them now due to over consumption. I haven't had one since about 2003. Guinness and chips made me the big lad I am now. Murphy's and Gillespies I like but Beamish can do one. I haven't got the stomach for the much heralded Brewdog efforts - maybe one day.

Gillespies was good, but again it's disappeared into the ether.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    never a fan of Murphy's.
    Guinness Foreign Extra is good.
    I too like Belhaven Black and Blackheart.

Thornbridge do a few good stouts too. There is always one on in the tap room at their brewery in Bakewell - this place is well worth a visit as well, superb ales, and pizzas, often live bands on. A good afternoon/evening out. 

Who is going to be bold and admit to liking Mackeson?????