Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Steve Vai has a theory book coming out called Vaideology

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• hootsmon said:
    I'm waiting on Satrianideology
    Nearest to that so far is probably this: https://www.halleonard.com/product/2501684/joe-satriani-guitar-secrets
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been recapping a lot of Satch and Vai recently - both are incredible - composition and technique abound.

Wind in the Trees by Satch and Ultrazone by Vai currently on repeat  B)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    hootsmon said:
    I'm waiting on Satrianideology
    Satchriatry ?
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 379
    edited February 2019
    I’ve ordered it on book depository, who said 10 days for delivery but I don’t believe them! Will let you know how it is
  • Amazon have despatched it today :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's here. A lot of content, I hope Mr Vai can help me learn more than my previous attempts!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Just ordered mine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't ordered mine yet - I bought the Steve Vai Guitar Play-Along instead as it came up under my suggested purchases list thing.  I'm going to order on Friday and it should be here on Saturday!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited February 2019
    This just popped up on my YouTube recommended list, looks like a good book.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited February 2019
    I usually rush through books without fully mastering them or not doing the exercises as suggested. With this I'm spending some time on the first section before moving on. The first part is about learning all the notes on the neck and getting familiar with intervals, basic stuff that I've never given much time or thought to. I'm going to follow the exercises as best as I can. I'm finding it clear, well written and quite inspiring, but obviously you have to put in your own time and work. He suggests further ways of doing this, apps you can use for interval exercises for instance.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited February 2019
    @MagicPigDetective ;;;
    Sounds interesting, I’m doing the same with a Guitar Method book I bought a few months ago.  There is no TAB, so I’m forced into reading the notes on the stave, which is good practice. This tool has helped me too http://music-reader.com/practice?keysig=C%20Major&clef=Treble&tuningname=Guitar&sf=5&fc=8&notemode=nat&shownotename=1&notesrc=rn

Keep it up and don’t skip ahead, it’s not a race and I’m sure you will get more out of it.

‘Give us an update on how its going in another few weeks time!

re. Intervals, I found that drawing out the Fretboard on lined paper & writing the note positions down, just A-G to start with & from there I can work out the sharps/flats, to be very useful.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041

It's here. A lot of content, I hope Mr Vai can help me learn more than my previous attempts!

So what's the verdict on the book?  Any proper insights into how to play like Mr Vai, or is it just another textbook with a bit of personality nailed on?
  • It's here. A lot of content, I hope Mr Vai can help me learn more than my previous attempts!

So what's the verdict on the book?  Any proper insights into how to play like Mr Vai, or is it just another textbook with a bit of personality nailed on

Good question. I'm finding his approach and personality is helping me to understand better basic theory stuff such as intervals, notes on the fretboard, major and minor scales etc. It's got me thinking about these when I'm playing in general and it's sticking.  I haven't delved further than this yet, but the first sections are easy to understand, and very importantly, enjoyable. He does reveal a few bits of wisdom about inspiration, enjoying music and how he first approached learning theory etc.

Other books I've tried are just too dry, academic, feel like a chore and just don't sink in. The next section is on reading music though, not sure if I need or have the commitment for that at this stage, and might skip to the modes/chords section.

I you already know your theory then perhaps it's not worth getting, unless you want to learn from his approach and words of wisdom.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163
    It’s worth getting I would say from what I read in the Amazon preview. The note naming exercises etc are good, plus Steves words of wisdom are really inspiring